Compensation: $48,520.00 - $81,710.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Hospitality - Food Services
As the only Five-Diamond property in New York City s SoHo neighborhood, the 46-story, 391-room hotel offers guests unsurpassed accommodations and sweeping views of Manhattan and the Hudson River. With paramount service, spacious accommodations, a world-class spa, outdoor pool, three food & beverage venues, and banquet and event space, The Dominick joins only two other premier hotels in New York City in Preferred Hotels & Resorts prestigious Legend Collection.
The Dominick is looking for a Banquet Chef to join our Culinary Team!
Responsible for all aspects of managing the Banquet Kitchen, ensuring the quality preparation of all menu items and proper handling/storage of all food items in accordance with Hotel standards. Coordinates the purchase of all food and develops menus, maintaining approved food costs and labor costs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment. Use equipment only as intended.
- Anticipate guests needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
- Maintain positive guest relations at all times.
- Be familiar with all Hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond to guest inquiries accurately.
- Resolve guest complaints, ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned work areas
- Review the daily activities; check the following:
- house count
- forecasted covers for each outlet
- Catering activity
- VIPs/special guests
- Establish the day's priorities and assign production and prep task to staff to execute.
- Review Banquet Event Order sheets and make production lists.
- Meet with Executive Chef/Chef de Cuisine to review schedules, assignments, anticipated business levels, changes and other information pertinent to the job performance.
- Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the shift.
- Take physical inventory of specified food items for daily inventory.
- Review the market list.
- Requisition the days supplies and ensure that they are received and stored correctly. Communicate needs with Purchasing and Storeroom personnel. Ensure quality of products received.
- Meet with the Executive Steward to review equipment needs, Banquet plate up assistance, cleaning schedule/project status, Health/Safety and sanitation follow up.
- Ensure that staff report to work as scheduled; document any late or absent employees.
- Coordinate breaks for staff.
- Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
- Check and ensure that all opening duties are completed to standard.
- Ensure that each work area is stocked with specified tools, supplies and equipment to meet the business demand.
- Ensure that recipe cards, production schedules, plating guides, photographs are current and posted.
- Check P.O.S. printers on the line; ensure they are in working order and there is enough paper available for the shift.
- Ensure that all staff prepares menu items following recipes and yield guides, according to department standards.
- Monitor performance of staff and ensure all procedures are completed to the department standards; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Work in Pastry shop and on line; assist wherever needed.
- Be aware of any shortages and make arrangements before the item runs out.
- Ensure that F&B Service Staff are informed of 86'd throughout the meal period.
- Observe guest reactions and confer with service staff to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Conduct a frequent walk- through of each area and direct respective personnel to correct any deficiencies. Ensure that quality and details are being maintained.
- Inspect the cleanliness of the line, floor, and all stations. Direct staff to rectify any deficiencies.
- Ensure that staff maintain and strictly abide by State sanitation/Health regulations and Hotel requirements.
- Maintain proper storage procedures as specified by Health Department and Hotel requirements.
- Instruct staff in the correct usage and care of all machinery in the Kitchen operation, stressing safety.
- Complete work orders for maintenance repairs and submit to Engineering. Contact Engineering directly for urgent repairs.
- Develop new menu items, test and write recipes.
- Create culinary program and train staff accordingly.
- Assist Catering Department with developing special menus for functions; meet with clients as requested.
- Supervise and direct the organization and preparation of food for the Employee Cafeteria.
- Review sales and food cost daily; resolve any discrepancies with the Controller.
- Minimize waste and maintain controls to attain forecasted food and labor costs.
- Ensure that excess items are utilized efficiently.
- Monitor and ensure that all closing duties are completed to standard before staff sign out.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale.
- Provide feedback to staff on their performance; handle disciplinary problems and counsel employees according to Hotel standards.
- Conduct scheduled performance appraisals.
- Interview and hire new personnel according to Hotel policies and standards.
- Prepare weekly work schedules for all Banquet personnel in accordance with staffing guidelines and forecasted labor costs. Adjust schedules throughout the week to meet business demands.
- Prepare daily/weekly payroll reports.
- Document pertinent information in the log book and follow up on items notated during other shifts.
- Plan and conduct monthly departmental meetings.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, F&B meetings, pre-convention meetings, B.E.O. review meetings.
- Return business telephone calls.
- Answer correspondence.
- Research local farm products, new suppliers, special markets.
- Attend gourmet shows, food and wine meetings.
- Schedule and conduct month-end inventories.
- Prepare menu analysis and recipe costing.
- Respond properly in any hotel emergency or safety situation.
- Perform other tasks or projects as assigned by immediate supervisor or upper hotel management.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Perform at special events and off-premise functions.
- High school diploma or equivalent vocational training certificate, some college.
- Certification of Culinary training or apprenticeship.
- 3 years experience in a similar position.
- Food handling certificate.
- Fluency in English both verbal and non-verbal.
- Compute basic arithmetic.
- Provide legible communication.
- Knowledge of food cost controls.
- Previously worked with all products and food ingredients.
- Operate, clean and maintain all equipment required in job functions.
- Plan and develop menus and recipes.
- Expand and condense recipes.
- Ability to perform various functions outlined below:
- Perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy.
- Prioritize and organize.
- Be a clear thinker, remain calm and resolve problems using good judgment.
- Follow directions thoroughly.
- Understand guest s service needs.
- Work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team.
- Work with minimal supervision.
- Maintain confidentiality of guest information and pertinent Hotel data.
- Ascertain departmental training needs and provide such training.
- Direct performance of staff and follow up with corrections when needed.
- Culinary college degree.
- Driver s license.
- Fluency in a second language.
- Sanitation certificate.
- Maintain good coordination.
- Certification in CPR.
- Ability to input and access information in the property management system/computers/point of sales system.
- Previous guest relations training.
- Artistic talent.
More detail about The Dominick Hotel, please visit
Associated topics: dining chef, executive kitchen, head chef, pastry chef, restaurant assistant chef, restaurant chef, service, service manager, sous, team lead
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...