The Department of Conservation and Recreation manages one of the largest and most diverse state parks systems in the nation and protects and enhances natural resources and outdoor recreational opportunities throughout Massachusetts. The DCR system includes over 450,000 acres of parks, forests, water supply protection lands, beaches, lakes, ponds, playgrounds, swimming pools, skating rinks, trails, golf courses and parkways.
The Department of Conservation and Recreation seeks qualified applicants for the position of Motor Equipment Mechanic III, Fleet Division, work location in Revere.
Safety Sensitive Positions such as the Motor Equipment Mechanic III require that the employee participate in the DCR Alcohol and Controlled Substance Testing Program Policy and be subject to a Pre-placement and Random DOT Drug and Alcohol testing.
The Motor Equipment Mechanic III inspects, troubleshoots and repairs motor vehicles and equipment for use by agency personnel; consults with operators, manufacturers or dealers' representatives regarding specifications or problems relating to the operation of motor vehicles and/or equipment; and writes repair orders and specifications for new vehicles and equipment.
* Repair motor vehicles and equipment by overhauling, rebuilding, replacing or adjusting gasoline or diesel engines, carburetors, distributors, alternators, generators, starters, differentials and transmissions according to manufacturers' specifications.
* Service vehicles and equipment by changing and repairing tires, adjusting brakes and cleaning and lubricating parts as needed to ensure their optimum working order.
* Repair and overhaul electrical circuits and units including all warning light circuits, arrow boards, electronic spreader circuits, electric motor circuits and electric solenoid circuits.
* Perform body repairs, windshield and window replacements.
* Assist in the purchase, disposal and registration of motor vehicles.
* Interview applicants for employment and provide training to new employees.
* Troubleshoot and road test motor vehicles and equipment such as automobiles, trucks, buses, bulldozers, cranes and snow blowers to determine the repair work needed to be done.
* Road test motor vehicles and recommend them for road use.
* Supervise vehicle maintenance and repair garage.
* Performs related work as assigned.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
* Possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class D Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
* Possession of a current and valid 2A Massachusetts Hoisting license (This is referred to in the Job Specs as Mass. Class C Equipment Operators License)
* Possession of current and valid CDL license (This is referred to in the Job Specs as a Mass. Class 2 Motor Vehicle Operators License)
* Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of automotive repair and maintenance.
* Knowledge of the types and uses of hand held tools used in automotive repair and maintenance such as wrenches, pliers, etc.
* Knowledge of the principles of operation of internal combustion engines.
* Knowledge of the principles of operation of diesel engines.
* Knowledge of the types and uses of materials and supplies used in automotive repair and maintenance.
* Knowledge of the types and uses of equipment used in automotive repair and maintenance such as hydraulic lifts, bumper jacks, ? grinders, buffers and air tools.
* Knowledge of the types and uses of precision measuring equipment and devices such as micrometers, calipers, etc.
* Knowledge of safety practices and procedures followed in automotive repair and maintenance.
* Knowledge of the types and uses of diagnostic testing equipment used in automotive repair and maintenance including devices for checking dwell, timing and idle speed.
* Knowledge of the principles of operation of the various components of motor equipment.
* Knowledge of the standard methods and techniques for the storage of hazardous materials.
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Applicants must have at least (A) three years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in the repair, maintenance and overhaul of automotive equipment such as automobiles, trucks, bulldozers, cranes, front end loaders, etc. of which (B) at least one year must have been in a supervisory capacity, or (C) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
I. A certificate or diploma from a recognized trade, technical or vocational school, at the high school level or above, with a major in automotive shop practice may be substitution for one year of the required (A) experience.
Special Requirements: Based on assignment:
1. Possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class B Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
2. Possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class C or hoisting license.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.