- Port Logistics Group
9 Bridewell Pl
The Role Reporting to the Senior Vice President, you will directly supervise the Dispatch Manager, and indirectly oversee a Dispatcher, 14 PLG Drivers and 15 Owner-Operators. You'll be responsible for the overall success of customer relationships, employee development, customer service, and efficient daily operations of the trucking department. This will include:
- Providing oversight for all operating activities, including pick-up and delivery, port interaction, governmental regulations, customer service, reporting, and continuous improvement.
- Directing the development of the trucking supervisory personnel and drivers to support the client relationship and client requirements.
- Carrying out managerial responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Assuming full P&L responsibility for transportation. Quick question for you - click here
If you're the person we're looking for, you know most of what this job entails. However, to be sure we're painting an accurate picture, here are highlights of the role's responsibilities:
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.Requirements
- Overseeing trucking activities to obtain optimum efficiency and economy and maximize profitability.
- Developing our TMS (TruckMate) to drive efficiencies.
- Providing the strategic direction in dealing with the customer so that all trucking activities are taken in concert with the client to allow both the client and Port Logistics Group to be successful financially.
- Representing the company to the customer as the primary interface and assuming responsibility for overall customer satisfaction, growth, and retention.
- Managing and constantly working to improve trucking gross margin.
- Leading, coaching and developing the Dispatch team to support customer requirements and specifications.
- Overseeing all safety and compliance programs.
- Driving revenue by expanding existing customer accounts and developing new business.
- And more.
The Requirements To be a good fit for the Transportation Manager opportunity, you will have:
- 10+ years of experience in transportation and supply chain solutions, or equivalent experience in a related industry.
- A proven track record of successful transportation management, including large customers with multi-year service agreements.
- Strong knowledge of trucking processes, technology, transportation, port, drayage, and supply chain management.
- Familiarity with operations and contacts on the Port Newark piers.
- Experience working with mass-market retailers; retail apparel experience is a plus. Quick question for you - click here
- Experience in roles with direct customer interaction, with a solid background of managing work teams to meet customer expectations.
- Experience developing performance metrics, and interacting frequently with customers to report and manage results.
- Proven leadership capability with a demonstrated ability to build, mentor, train, grow, and lead a team.
- Functional experience in warehousing, transportation, and supply chain management.
- Strong computer skills, especially in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Excellent communication and customer interaction skills.
- The ability to assess problems, determine root causes, and work to resolution with a team.
- A self-starter approach and the ability to work independently.
- A bachelor's degree; an advanced degree is a plus.
Associated topics: dispatcher, fleet, fleet management, handler, management, manager, manager trainee, service manager, supervisor, svce
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...