NS1's mission is to unlock the potential of DNS to deliver the tech that powers our customers and the world. We are the market leader in DNS and traffic management software and services, and our customers include the biggest properties and largest enterprises on the internet, such as Salesforce, LinkedIn, Squarespace, Pandora, Imgur, Yelp, Dropbox, and many more. Our modern DNS technologies enable optimized application delivery, couple via our APIs into the tooling and processes of today's DevOps organizations, and deliver reliability and performance at global scale. We operate a worldwide, highly tuned Managed DNS network, and also deliver our technologies to customers as single-tenant software deployments. We solve incredibly challenging problems on behalf of our customers, in the most mission critical parts of their stack.
The Director of Technical Program Management will join NS1 to develop and implement a program management department within our technology organization that facilitates an environment for successful execution of product strategy for SaaS and on-premises software products. The director will work closely with engineering, current technical program managers, and product leadership to better define and drive how we get work done, effectively designing and influencing the change required to evolve our organizational practices with the scaling demands of the business.
The director will leverage deep expertise in software delivery methodologies to socialize and implement best practices across engineering team efforts on our highest priority and most complex projects. The director will be responsible for the development of their team of TPMs, prioritizing their growth, progression, and impact across the organization.
* Drive standardization and implementation of best practices around software project management, risk identification/management, dependency tracking, team communication principles, workflows, and meeting facilitation. * Work closely with engineering department leads and product management to continually improve how we get work done. * Ensure higher complexity projects have program support and staffing by technical program managers. Coach engineering managers on project management techniques for lower complexity projects. * Facilitate high profile/cross-functional meetings for leadership, including roadmapping and project kick-offs. * Contribute program management to highest level strategic project development. * Manage team of technical program managers (3-5 over next year) across engineering departments. * Ensure team's efforts attain predictability, repeatability, and clarity in implementation across engineering efforts, and enable engineering to deliver on commitments to our customers.
* At least 8 years in program management, delivery lifecycle management, or project planning for a dynamic product or engineering organization. Preferably at least 3 years in a leadership capacity. * Strong verbal and written communication skills, with sufficient level of technical capability to effectively communicate with engineers and product managers on product scope and technical risks. * Proven talent for defining order out of ambiguity, and intrinsic flexibility to effectively adapt methodology to a variety of scenarios. * Demonstrated comfort with remote communication culture. Can facilitate effectively with distributed teams. * Meticulously organized, with strong attention to detail and understanding of intricate cross-dependencies. * Experience managing delivery of larger development teams or multiple development teams, as well as managing additional project managers.
Nice to have:
* Program development and direction at a multi-product technology company * Experience managing a team of direct reports * Experience with infrastructure products or distributed systems * Experience working on highly technical products that are focused on mission critical backend systems
NS1 Technology Stack:
* Our globally distributed platform is comprised of many subsystems including: * Custom built DNS software that's deployed on physical hardware and an anycasted network that spans nearly 30 facilities globally * REST API, and Portal * Deployment automation, CI/CD, unit/integration testing * Monitoring, metrics collection and alerting * Traffic load balancing, filtering, and DDoS mitigation tools * Messaging, persistent DB and caching systems * Other technologies and integrations include: * Linux, Ansible, Docker & other container platforms * BGP, BPF/IPTables, SDN, packet analysis * MongoDB, Redis, RabbitMQ, SQL * Python (Twisted), Bash, C, C++14, React, Redux, D3 * Hadoop/HDFS/OpenTSDB, Grafana, Bosun * Integrations with third party SaaS, APIs, and libraries, various Open Source projects including REST API clients and integrations
Working @ NS1
We're a fast-growing, well-funded startup based in the heart of New York City's Financial District with offices and team members around the world. Working at NS1, you'll come to understand our team is unique, both in and out of the workplace. We have PhDs, musicians, artists, and athletes working side by side, dedicated to delivering first class products. We're hardworking, but we're also a compassionate group. We understand that outside of NS1 is a world that places demands on our time. Our leadership team is dedicated to open and honest communication and we continuously strive to foster a culture of transparency, flexibility, and creativity.
* competitive compensation (salary and stock options) * medical, dental, and vision * commuter benefits * 401k * flexible hours and time off * choice of workstation