Operates and maintains central heating plant systems and equipment.Responsibilities Essential Functions
Earliest anticipated start date is September 3, 2019.
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check and a post-offer pre-employment screening. Please see the physical demands section for additional information.
- Operates biomass gasification plant for generation of 250 psi steam.
- Coordinates wood chip deliveries to ensure adequate inventory level.
- Operates boilers and auxiliary equipment for generation of 125 psi and 250 psi steam.
- Operates steam-driven turbines and auxiliary equipment for 480 volt, 3 phase, power generation.
- Collects plant process data and maintains written and computer logs throughout shift.
- Performs basic maintenance on equipment as required.
- Maintains the heating plant in a tour-ready condition at all times by performing routine housekeeping including, dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, garbage removal, and painting.
- Handles hazardous waste such as: oily rags, used lubricants, and fluorescent bulbs in the approved manner.
- Performs standard tests on boiler feed water and steam condensate and chemically treats as needed.
- Follows procedures and safety rules as required. Implements lockout/tag-out, fall protection, and confined entry policies to comply with O.S.H.A regulations.
- Performs all duties in a safe and professional manner and in accordance with established Middlebury College and departmental policies and procedures including the Code of Conduct.
- Performs other heating plant related responsibilities as necessary.
- Receives heating oil deliveries at heating plant.
- Maintains heating oil tank levels.
- Receives water treatment chemicals at heating plant.
- Must be flexible with work schedule. Plant operates 24/7/365. Weekends and holidays are included in work schedule.
- Must successfully pass the Central Heating Plant Operating Training, which includes sign-off of the training manual.
- Complies with spill prevention, control, and countermeasure processes for heating plant.
- Ensures plant operation complies with all Air Quality Permit requirements.
- Works cooperatively with others and accepts direction from supervisors but also able to operate the plant autonomously when necessary.
- Actively engages in the implementation of the Middlebury College 2028 Energy Initiative.
- May cross-train in other mechanical/electrical trade shops and support other Facilities Services department needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned to assist the department in obtaining and maintaining its mission.
High school diploma or equivalent required. Power plant operating certification/license (i.e. NUILPE) or equivalent power plant or process experience preferred.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of college steam and electrical distribution systems preferred.
- Basic math and computer skills required.
- Possess basic knowledge of proper cleaning, maintenance and inspection of boiler steam drums and fireside area.
- Understands basic process control systems.
- Should have maintenance and trouble shooting skills for heating plant electrical, steam, condensate, heating oil, natural gas, feed water, propane, compressed air equipment and systems.
- Familiar with basic turbine/generator operation and maintenance.
- Familiar with basic O.S.H.A regulations including lockout-tagout, fall protection, confined space, handling hazardous materials and waste, fire safety.
- Working knowledge of heating plant Factory Mutual annual inspection process.
- Must have working knowledge of boiler combustion control and burner management systems.
- Must be a self-starter and possess a high level of personal initiative.
- Ability to logically troubleshoot equipment problems.
- Must be able to read gauges and thermometers
- Must be comfortable climbing ladders, daily.
- Must be a team player, willing to work days, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Must be willing to work occasional overtime.
- Forklift experience preferred.
- Drivers license required.
Minimum 2 years experience required in power plant, turbine generator or equivalent industrial process operations.Physical Demands
Click here to view the full physical demand requirements for this position. (Category R screen)
Launch your career - Upload your resume now!Upload your resume
Loading some great jobs for you...