Vice President-Communications (Vinton)
Compensation: $136,775.00 - $160,480.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Executive Management
Loading some great jobs for you...
Chesterfield, Missouri, United States Leadership Type: Full Time Days Job Id: 806036 Posted on:10/08/2019
Our mission is clear. We bring to life a healing ministry through our compassionate care and exceptional service.
We dont believe in jobs at Mercy, we believe in careers that match the unique gifts of unique individuals; careers that not only make the most of your skills and talents, but also your heart.
At Mercy, youll feel our supportive community every step of your day, especially the tough ones. Were a team and love working that way. That team is expanding, and we currently have exceptional opportunities to help our communities grow.
Responsibilities / Qualifications:
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Integrated Marketing and serving as a member of the Integrated Marketing senior management team, the Vice President (VP) of Communications will be responsible for the development and execution of Mercys internal and external communications strategy. The VP of Communications will develop a world-class communications plan for Mercy, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance and protect the ministrys brand, reputation and culture. The VP of Communications will be responsible for the development, integration and implementation of a broad range of communications and public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of Mercy and its leadership. This individual will need to build relationships with the media to advance Mercys position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness and support for the ministry. The VP of Communications will be responsible for overseeing integrated communications products and services including, but not limited to: newsletters and other print publications; Web, E-news and other online communications; media and public relations; and social media.
Communications Strategy, Vision & Leadership
- Develop and implement a formal, integrated strategic communications plan to advance Mercys brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences, internal & external
- Create communications/public relations strategies that will allow Mercys leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers
- Enhance existing social media program beyond engagement metrics to conversion. Develop a social media strategy that links to marketing priorities/service lines and drives consideration and lead generation
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the ministry, including situations requiring a crisis response. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Drive co-worker engagement through execution of a multi-channel internal communications strategy, utilizing consistent messaging and providing a dissemination framework to support leadership cascading
- Develop and execute communications plans in support of major business and organizational initiatives such as acquisitions, divestitures, partnerships, new service and facility launches, and leadership and organizational changes
- Develop consistent, repeatable and measurable processes for all communications efforts. Define operational needs and implement oversight re: measurement of activities (e.g., PR, newsletters, intranet, etc)
- Oversee development of all internal and select external print and electronic communications; manage relationships with associated internal/external communications vendors
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media relations/interactions that help to promote and/or impact the ministry
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage media relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Mercys programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects, and to mitigate potentially negative coverage
- Maintain effective relationships and work collaboratively with other leaders, departments and service areas in support of ongoing and special needs requiring communications support
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and staff development
- Ensure coordination/alignment with Integrated Marketing and CEO communications initiatives via formal planning and weekly huddle process
- Provide leadership and support in development of selected internal events including leadership meetings
- Ensure internal client satisfaction at every level of the ministry
- Lead communications team to support the development and execution of Mercys communications strategy
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
- Establish and monitor team performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments
- Direct hiring, training and performance evaluations of staff and oversee their daily activities, ensuring proper quality of projects and brand adherence, as well as completion of projects in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Build an effective team by coaching, leading by example and recruiting
- Establish strong and effective cross-functional partnerships and professional relationships in a manner consistent with the values and mission of Mercy, and respectful of the inherent dignity of all
- Work effectively as a team member in a dynamic, horizontal/matrixed environment where collegiality, subsidiary and sharing responsibility is both required and highly valued
- Promote teamwork within and across the ministry by maintaining positive and productive One Mercy and One Marketing team relationships and utilizing effective problem-solving skills
- Provide excellent customer service to internal clients while educating them on effective marketing strategies and recommendations
- Embrace the fluidity of the healthcare industry and the many changes likely to occur in the coming years, acknowledging that ministry needs will require role variation for all. Our entire department will be required to accept change and to lead through it.
Each career at Mercy represents unique members of our caring ministrys body, working together for the health and strength of the whole. To achieve our goals, we need all the parts functioning at their best and this requires the specific qualifications that youll bring with you:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or related field is required, an advanced degree is preferred
- Minimum 15 years experience in a senior management role either in-house or with an agency
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and/or marketing program to advance an organization's mission and goals
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized.
- A minimum of five years experience in planning, writing, editing and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Experience in building, mentoring and coaching a team of communications professionals
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Stature, gravitas, and confidence to gain the credibility and respect of ministry leadership
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Aility to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Excellent and persuasive communicator
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical communications, PR, marketing, finance, administration, mission, clinical and human resources initiatives
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, Mercys Board of Directors and staff
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Passion for Mercys mission
Well Support You at Work and Home
Our foundations are built on dignity and respect. Modern Healthcare Magazine named us as a top 100 places to work. We go out of our way to help people feel welcomed. We offer day-one comprehensive health, vision and dental coverage, PTO, tuition reimbursement and employer-matched retirement funds to benefit-eligible co-workers, including those working 48 hours or more per pay period!
What Makes a Good Match for Mercy
Compassion and professionalism go hand-in-hand with us, along with exceptional quality care. Having a positive outlook and a strong sense of advocacy is in perfect step with our mission and vision. Were also collaborative and are not afraid to do a little extra to deliver excellent care thats just part of our commitment. If that sounds like a fit for you as well, we encourage you to apply.
internal, external, communications,development, integration, implementation of a broad range of communications and public relations activities, strategic direction and positioning
Associated topics: administrative, administrative support, assist, associate, document, facilities, front office, operation, operational assistant, operations director
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...