- Hematology Oncology Associates of CNY
- $83,450.00 -117,470.00/year*
Healthcare - Nursing
JOB TITLE: Registered Nurse
POSITION STATUS: Exempt
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Provides professional nursing care for Hematology-Oncology Associates' patients following established standards and practices.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports directly to the Infusion Centers Coordinator and the Director of Nursing.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires full range of body motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination. Requires standing and walking for extensive periods of time. Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 50 pounds. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. Requires working under stressful conditions or working irregular hours. Requires exposure to communicable diseases or bodily fluids.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Frequent exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic environment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: (This list may not include all of the duties assigned).
1. Provides general nursing care to patients. Administers prescribed medications and chemotherapy treatments in accordance with nursing standards, documenting same.
* Prepares equipment and aids physician during treatment, examination, and testing of patients.
3. Observes, records, and reports patient's condition and reaction to drugs and treatments to physicians. Dispenses medication as directed.
4. Oversees appointment bookings and ensures preferences are given to patients in emergency situations. Maintains timely flow of patients.
5. Greets patients and prepares them for physician examination. Screens patients for appropriate information. Instructs patients in collection of samples and tests.
* Arranges for patient home care and hospice care, testing and admission as necessary.
7. Responds to and refers incoming telephone calls. Instructs patient and family regarding medications and treatment instructions. Triage calls per HOACNY protocol.
8. Performs intravenous therapy to those patients on chemotherapeutic agents, including the preparation under accepted safety equipment standards and administration of chemotherapy via peripheral sites, central venous catheters, Omaya reservoirs, intra-abdominal reservoirs.
9. Perform venous sampling via peripheral sites and venous access devices.
10. Recognize normal and abnormal laboratory findings and the pathology involved.
11. Navigates and records patient information in the Electronic Medical Record.
12. Performs and reinforces patient and family teaching as required.
13. Aids in completion of patient insurance and disability forms as necessary.
14. Prepares charts for next days patients, review all lab, radiology and other reports for completeness. Review all orders.
15. Maintains exam rooms for necessary supplies and materials. Ensures cleanliness. Prepares list of medical supplies needed. Maintains OSHA standards of decontamination.
16. Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
17. Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
18. Maintains patient confidentiality.
19. Performs related work as required.
20. Attends required meetings and participates in teams as requested.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
Knowledge of professional nursing theory and practice to give and evaluate patient care. Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations and procedures to administer patient care. Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care. Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment. Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods, and techniques of professional nursing to provide on-going patient care. Skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions. Skill in preparing and maintaining records, writing reports, and responding to correspondence. Skill in developing and maintaining department quality assurance. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public. Ability to maintain quality control standards. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations. Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures. Ability to communicate clearly.
Education: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
Experience: Professional nursing experience in a hospital setting preferred.
Certificate/License: Possession of a New York State Registered Nurse license.
ACLS certification recommended within one year of employment.
OCN certification required within two years of employment.
ALTERNATIVE TO MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: None
Associated topics: asn, cardiothoracic, care unit, coronary, hospice, intensive, intensive care, nurse clinical, nurse rn, surgical
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.