- $116,070.00 -174,640.00/year*
Job Description Summary:
The DER Planning Engineer in System Planning provides distribution focused subject matter expertise in DER power system studies and project development by carrying out assignments associated with the technical review and modeling of generation and storage facilities interconnecting with the distribution system. The role requires experience associated with the modeling, analyses, and planning level designs of distribution lines and substation facilities in an electric power system. Typical DER studies include analyses of distribution connected generation and storage and their impact on the distribution system. This position also represents the company on regional and national distribution committees regarding DER and distribution planning matters for North American Electric Reliability Council (NERC), New England Power Coordination Council (NPCC), and Independent System Operators of New England (ISO-NE).
* Assists in development of the distribution system power flow model for the purpose of studying the interconnection of generation and storage.
* Assists in the assessment and analysis of proposed solutions associated with the integration of DER and associated impact on the ISO-NE regional system. This task includes:
* Working with distribution system planning and transmission interconnection engineers
* Verification of technical feasibility or soundness of proposed plans utilizing industry accepted techniques
* Developing design solutions and possible alternatives to mitigate identified assessment criteria violations
* Interfacing with DER, various line and substation engineering, asset management, siting, environmental and permitting, operations, etc. for the determination of planning needs and proposed plans
* Conducts assessments and develops options to meet DER interconnections by identifying key technical issues and developing proposed and alternative solutions. This task includes:
* Application of industry and corporate distribution planning standards in conjunction with regulations of Federal, State and Local regulatory authorities
* Assists in analysis of the distribution interconnections. This task includes:
* Review and preparation of Pre-Application Report requests
* Review and feasibility assessment support for applications in the interconnection queue
* Managing the local impact analysis of distribution interconnections on the Eversource distribution system
* Working with distribution engineering, distribution planning, transmission planning and transmission interconnection departments
Other supporting tasks include:
* Represents the department and the company on various industry related committees.
* Participates with other utilities and the planning staff of the Independent System Operator (ISO) in the preparation of regional distribution and substation expansion studies.
* Employs teamwork with engineers in Distribution Engineering, System Planning and personnel elsewhere in Electric Operations or external to the company in performing analyses and providing technical support
* Manages the delivery of Eversource products and services to increase interconnection of generation and meet customer needs.
* Assist with preparing PAF's and TAF's and present at monthly meeting
* Assist with preparation of high level construction estimates, use AIMS.
* Serves as a team leader on specialized internal and external cross-functional teams, as necessary, to develop engineering solutions and customer satisfaction.
* Manage approved inverter list and review UL certifications
* Assist with I.3.9 ISO-NE Notification process
* Prepare Special Operating Guidelines
* Clearly and effectively communicates the results of analyses and action plans both verbally and in writing
* Trains interns in technical analyses and procedures
* Performs an emergent storm assignment as needed during times of inclement weather or adverse system conditions
* Strong understanding of electrical engineering concepts such as DG, storage, reliability, load flow, flicker, stability, short circuit, voltage regulation, transients, power factor, losses, etc.
* Strong technical understanding of the parameters and functions used in the operation of the power delivery system as well as power industry fundamentals, practices, and standards
* Knowledge and experience using power system modeling and simulation software for steady state power flow, voltage, short circuit, stability, and electromagnetic transients.
* Strong communication, interpersonal, presentation, negotiation and persuasion skills both verbal and written.
* Knowledge of STORMS, eGIS, Visio, and C2 knowledge is preferred.
* Knowledge of DG Tariff and Eversource Technical Standards
* Follow Eversource's Codes of Conduct, Business Ethics, Environmental and Diversity Policies.
Education: A Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Power Systems or related is required. An Advanced Degree is preferred.
Experience: A minimum of five years of related experience is required.
Licenses & Certifications: EIT or Professional Engineer's License preferred.
Please include a resume with your application.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...