Senior Software Engineer, Distributed Systems
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Information Technology
Duolingo is the most popular language learning application in the world, with over 300 million users. We are passionate about education, fact-based decision making, and elegant solutions to cross-functional problems. If that sounds like you, then come join us as we build the next-generation learning company!
As a Software Engineer, Distributed Systems, you will work closely with cross-functional engineering teams to ensure Duolingo's complex distributed systems and products are built and maintained with world-class quality, and operated in measurable and scalable ways.
* Collaborate with internal teams to identify sources of instability in distributed systems and drive operational excellence
* Own core infrastructure (i.e manage, diagnose, and debug large-scale distributed systems in production)
* Provide system design consulting, develop software platforms/frameworks, and conduct launch reviews and root cause analysis
* Maintain and document sustainable postmortem/incident response practices
* Understand and resolve potential threats to performance or security
* Monitor and measure latency, availability and overall system health, once live
* Advocate for and implement changes that improve reliability, scalability, and velocity
* Monitor and stress test systems to collect metrics for tuning and capacity planning
* Reduce the burden of toil with iterative development of tooling and automation
* Collaborate with engineering teams to release new features and become an authority on our services
* Participate in on-call rotation
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
* 3+ years of experience within site reliability engineering/devops of a product with millions of users
* Experience analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
* Proven knowledge of C, C++, Java, Kotlin, Python or Go
* Fluency in networking protocols, such as TCP/IP, HTTP, SSL, DNS, etc
* An understanding of containerization toolsets and container orchestration technologies (Docker, Mesos, Kubernetes, Nomad, etc)
* Effective communication skills and understanding of best practices around tools/methodologies for Infrastructure, Automation, Capacity Planning, etc.
* Ability to be on-call for critical incident responses
Associated topics: .net, application architect, architecture, backend, back end, devops, expert, java, maven, software architect
Loading some great jobs for you...