Mid/Senior Level Biologist
About the Job
We are currently seeking a full-time, mid or senior level Biologist (7+ years experience) to join our Inland Empire area-based southern California biological resources team in conducting a variety of field surveys and assessments and to prepare biological reports and biological resource sections of environmental documents. We are particularly interested in someone with both field and documentation experience and professional skills associated with jurisdictional wetland delineations, botanical surveys and regional special-status wildlife species. Experience in regulatory agency permitting or a strong willingness to engage and learn this client service practice is also preferred. Project work can occur throughout southern California.
This position will be based out of our Inland Empire, Pasadena or Orange County California offices.
Duties and Responsibilities
May be involved with all or a selection of the following, individually or as part of a team:
- Vegetation mapping and habitat characterization
- Jurisdictional delineations pursuant to federal Clean Water Action Section 404, State of California Fish and Game Code 1600 and State of California Clean Water Act Section 401
- General habitat assessments and surveys for plant and wildlife species
Work as a member of our team in the preparation of technical reports and studies including biological constraints analyses, wetland delineation reports, wetland permit applications, rare plant surveys, focused survey reports, threatened and endangered species permitting documentation, biological sections of CEQA/NEPA documents, HCP consistency evaluations and biological resources technical reports. This includes working individually and as part of a team on the following:
- Assembly and synthesis of data related to biological issues and impact assessment
- Coordination with internal staff and sub-consultants preparing technical surveys or reports
- Coordination with technical staff in document preparation, map and exhibit preparation, editing and production and distribution tasks
Education and Essential Skills
- Bachelor s degree in biology, ecology, botany or related natural resources field required.
- 7+ years experience with environmental consulting, natural resource planning and management or related field.
- Familiarity with California wetland types and systems, southern, coastal and central California vegetation community characterization and state and federal regulatory permitting processes including working with the US Army Corps of Engineers, US Fish and Wildlife Service, California Regional Water Quality Control Boards and California Department of Fish and Wildlife.
- Experience with aquatic and terrestrial wildlife species identification and habitat assessment in southern, coastal and central California.
- Experience with construction monitoring/management and worker environmental awareness training.
- Attention to detail, ability to work independently and strong written and oral communication skills is essential.
- Ability to conduct fieldwork in challenging terrain and weather conditions as necessary.
Dudek is a leading California-based environmental and engineering firm that helps public and private clients plan and implement reliable, effective, and compliant projects. Founded in 1980, Dudek is a stable company that has grown steadily to more than 600 professionals across the U.S., located primarily in offices in California, Hawai i, and Oregon.
As an employee-owned company, Dudek s culture rewards smart, productive team members with professional and financial benefits. Our offices are designed to encourage collaboration, sustainability, and connectivity with the surrounding communities.
Please visit www.dudek.com to learn more!
Dudek is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by applicable law.