Come be part of VMware's Research Group (VRG)! We bring production to the VRG of research and research to the VRG of production. With its early roots in academia, VMware has established itself as a source of cutting-edge innovation with a culture that thrives on technical leadership. The Company has driven market disruptions related to server, desktop, and network virtualization, data center automation, and mobile device management.
The VRG is extending the depth of our innovation pipeline through a culture of research excellence combined with deep and meaningful partnerships that bridge the gap between academic research and the leading technologists within the Company's business units.
We are recruiting world-class Senior Staff Researchers who are keen to both advances the state of the art and disrupt the industry. VRG researchers accomplish this by combining research breakthroughs with VMware's world-class development capabilities and industry presence.
VMware Researchers are responsible for the investigation of new and unproven technologies, advancing the state of the art, and developing ideas that inspire and inform the future of VMware. They are expected to launch new research initiatives and/or collaborate on existing research projects.
The primary responsibilities of a VMware researcher include:
* Conducting basic and applied research on important and challenging open problems in computer science. Researchers are expected to define and drive research projects, either on their own or in collaboration with other researchers and/or technologists. The resultant work should be of publishable quality in top tier research forums. * Engagement with the academic and broader research community. This activity includes: recruiting and supervising interns, collaborations with researchers outside of VMware; participation in key research forums through publications, program committees, etc.; public appearances, such as keynotes and campus visits. * Engagement with VMware's product teams and customers. Our researchers actively promote and seek out applications for their work within VMware. To do this they participate in internal forums, partner with technologists in the Company's business units, etc.
In addition, Senior Staff Researchers are expected to engage in most, if not all, of the following:
* Disrupt the research community. Provide agenda-setting leadership within their respective research community. * Disrupt VMware. Lead the charge, in seeking out applications for key research advances. Be recognized within the Company as the \"go to\" expert who is consulted for advice on questions related to their area of expertise. * Interact with customers to disseminate research results/artifacts and to identify potential research opportunities by learning about the challenges customers face. * Role model our values and actively contribute to the health, fun, and vibrancy of the VRG. Help make the VRG the research environment you always dreamed of.
Qualifications and Experience
* Deep technical expertise in the candidate's area of research. * Research track record demonstrated by publications in top peer-reviewed venues and outstanding references. Our emphasis is on the quality, novelty, and impact of the work. * The inner drive to excel and have an impact. Evidence of having defined and successfully pursued a research agenda that has already had a significant and disruptive impact on the research community and/or industry. Be a research rock star (but without a rock star's ego). * Researchers in the systems space should be passionate about and have a track record for building stuff people use --- prototypes, open source code, etc. Researchers with algorithms and/or theory expertise should have a track record of collaborating effectively with systems builders. * A clear, bold and compelling vision of the next research breakthrough they want to work on at VMware and how to get started towards it. This should include the ability to inspire and enlist others in their quest. * Proved record of mentoring junior researchers and guiding them to success. * Excellent written and verbal communication skills with capability to: * facilitate deep technical conversations with researchers within their field; and * describe clearly to executives, customers, and technologists outside of their field the nature and importance of the problem they are working on, the unique aspects of their approach, and their results and their implications
* Ability to collaborate effectively both with other researchers and with product team technologists within VMware. * Prior industry experience, either as a visiting scholar or a full-time researcher, is an asset.
Ph.D. (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics or a discipline directly related to the candidate's area of research expertise. Candidates who are expected to complete their degree prior to commencing employment are welcome to apply.
Associated topics: c, c c++, computer science, electronic, informatic, java, matlab, optical, programmer, software engineer
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.