* Requisition no: 503314 * Work type: Full Time * Location: Morningside * School/Department: The School at Columbia Univ * Grade: Grade 10 * Categories: General Administration, Security
The Security Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the security and safety of children and all persons who enter The School at Columbia University (The School). Serves as a team player and role model for other security team members and employees at The School; demonstrates a commitment to continuous quality improvement; and supports and exhibits The School's core organizational values of caring, respect, integrity and diversity.
* The Security Coordinator maintains a high visibility when conducting security checks throughout The School. Maintains logs and conducts investigations as assigned. Attends meetings and prepares comprehensive notes for team members. Safeguard the property of The School. Becomes familiar with students and parents. Coordinates dismissals ensuring that students exit The School only with authorized personnel. Monitors and patrols areas surrounding The School and makes recommendations on safety hazards that may impact The School. Completes daily and monthly reports as required. Becomes familiar with and actively monitors the access control system and security plans of The School. Provides emergency assistance as needed. Communicates effectively with students, parents and staff both orally and in writing. * Reviews security plans for events on and off-site and effectively coordinates security efforts. Stays abreast of laws impacting New York City schools inclusive of Penal Law provisions, Criminal Procedure law provisions, the Child Safety Act and other federal laws governing sex offenders. Assesses security needs and makes recommendations to the team. Prepares incident reports, security charts and risk analyses as required or requested. Attends training courses offered within and outside of the University on security-related issues. * Attends security programs that relate to staff development, and participates in tabletop exercises and training as requested. Provides age-appropriate security and safety education to Kindergarten through Grade 8 children. Coordinates the activity of School employees and visitors during emergencies or drills impacting The School. Becomes familiar with all security posts and positions within The School.
* Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience required. * 0-2 years of related experience * NYS Security Guard license required. * Current CPR training required. * Two years satisfactory work experience in law enforcement or security required. * Possess physical ability to patrol all areas of The School and be able to walk up and down flights of stairs as needed. * Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time * Must be willing to lift and deliver packages * Must be flexible and available to change shift with notice as needed
* Public Safety or related degree from an accredited university strongly preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Applications open: Sep 20 2019 Eastern Daylight Time Applications close: Oct 18 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Back Apply Share
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.