* Requisition no: 503217 * Work type: Full Time * Location: Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory * School/Department: Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory * Grade: Grade 12 * Categories: Information Technology, Research (Lab and Non-Lab)
The responsibilities of the Applications Developer include: develop, enhance, and optimize interactive web applications and web services for on-line geoscience information systems developed and operated by the Geoinformatics Research Group (GRG) at Lamont with a specific focus on creating innovative solutions for user interface and user experience (UI/UX) that help optimize usability and appearance of GRG web applications. Responsible for developing web design and business logic functions according to software design specifications; write, test, and debug code; monitor end-user performance and problems on applications/systems. Develop clear and concise documentation of complex scope. Contribute to presenting work at scientific meetings, in science journals, and technical reports.
* Develop web design and business logic functions according to software design specifications; write, test, and debug code; monitor end-user performance and problems on applications/systems. * Develop technical documentation. * Assist the GRG Director in preparing materials needed for presentations and reports for scientific meetings, in science journals, and technical reports. * Received direct supervision from the Doherty Senior Research Scientist serving as Director of the Geoinformatics Research Group. Independent judgment and initiative required.
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Science, or a related field, and minimum of 3 years of professional web application development experience are required.
* Good knowledge or hands on experience with Web Services (REST), relational database management systems (PostgreSQL), Linux, Docker, GitHub, Elasticsearch or Solr.
* The successful candidate will have knowledge of scientific data, research practices, and provenance. Possess excellent problem-solving skills and logical thinking ability. Will be strongly collaborative, agile, and proactive in working with both technical and non-technical colleagues and clients.
* Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills are required. * Must be willing to continuously update technical skills. * Only online applications will be accepted.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Applications open: Sep 18 2019 Eastern Daylight Time Applications close:
Back Apply Share
Associated topics: application, c c++, c++, c#, develop, devops, java, software development engineer, software programmer, sw
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.