The irrigator seasonal (March-October 2020) is a full-time, temporary position that is responsible for performing skilled installation and maintenance of irrigation systems throughout Bently Ranch. This position will primarily work under the Irrigating Supervisor, but may also work under other members of Bently Ranch as needed.
**Housing and Benefits are available**
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Install and maintain irrigation systems
- Perform preventative maintenance work, routine equipment maintenance, and report any problems to supervisor
- Check irrigation system daily for leaks, breaks, weak areas, or obstructions and damage to irrigation systems
- Repair irrigation system defects
- Remove plugs to release water, and re-plug when area is filled with water
- Observe rate of flow, and adjust the valves to ensure uniform distribution of water
- Lubricates, adjusts, and repairs or replaces parts to maintain system
- Maintain and repair ditches or pipes and pumps
- Participate in the inspection, grading, sorting, storage, and post-harvest treatment of the crops
- Irrigate farm soil
- Performs maintenance such as spraying fertilizer or pesticide solutions to control insects, fungi, and weeds
- Apply pesticides, herbicides, and/or other fertilizers to crops, when necessary
- Planting, pruning and moving or removing shrubs and trees with wheelbarrows or tractors
- Load agricultural products into truck
- Drive trucks for the purpose of, but not limited to, driving to market or storage facilities, haul crops, supplies, tools, or farm workers
- Repair and maintain farm vehicles, implements, and mechanical equipment
- Build, repair, and maintain fences
- Maintain a thorough understanding and working knowledge of organizational policies, work safety policies, regulations, and procedures
- Report to work regularly and on time
- Other duties as assigned
Special Licenses and/or Certificates:
- Valid driver s license is preferred, but not required
Other Skills and Qualifications:
- Knowledge of safe equipment operation and safety rules
- Mechanical skills necessary to maintain, and repair farm equipment
- Ability to work extended hours during peak season
- Ability to identify task requirements and monitor progress toward accomplishment
- Ability to receive guidance and supervision; follow work rules, safety practices, work procedures; meet deadlines, punctuality and attendance standards; work mandatory overtime, etc.
- Ability to problem solve efficiently and effectively.
- Ability to perform under stress when confronted with an emergency, critical, unusual or dangerous situations in which working with speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job; to be subject to danger, risk or tension as a regular consistent part of the job
- Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations
Physical Job Description
- Ability to perform repetitive work, to continuously performs the same work according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
- Ability to perform physical activities on a daily basis
- Ability to be subject to substantial repetitive motions of the body or its parts.
- Ability to exert up to 30 pounds of force occasionally, up to 15 pounds of force frequently, and up to 7 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Ability to view a computer screen for long periods of time.
Typical Working Conditions:
- While performing duties of this job, the employee is exposed to both indoor and outdoor conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts, occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock, occasionally exposed to vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Notice: The job description in no way states or implies that these are the only tasks to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow instructions and perform other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at-will" employment relationship.