This is a full-time, 40 hour per week position which includes a full range of benefits including Paid Time Off, Extended Medical Leave, Holidays, Employee health, dental, life, disability, retirement and tuition assistance programs.
The purpose of this position is to provide technical engineering support to the Highway Department;
and supervise and perform engineering reviews. The work is performed under the direction of the
Highway Project Manager.
• Responsible for the County special use permit process. Receives, completes engineering review of,
issues, collects fee for, and keeps records of special use permits for construction within County right-of-
way from citizens, utilities and developers. Responds to inquiries regarding work on the right-of-way
and special use permit requirements. Reviews entrance plans for sediment and erosion control,
sight distance, and transportation planning.
• Uses computer aided design and drafting tools to design road improvement and drainage projects to
be constructed with in-house personnel or contractors. Determines drainage areas, calculates flow
quantities and designs hydraulic systems. Performs engineering review of road and bridge
improvement plans. Works with consultants, public, and staff to evaluate and resolve design issues on
• Works closely with County’s Geographic Information System Department and the Maintenance
Division to incorporate the use of satellite information into the Highway Department’s everyday
functions. Assists in coordinating and updating the department’s computer systems including
purchasing, maintenance, and budgeting. Prepares reports, computer generated maps and drawings.
• Reviews and prepares legal descriptions and exhibits. Supervises and coordinates maintenance of
highway department maps.
• Works with utility companies to coordinate the timely relocation of their facilities in conjunction
with upcoming road, bridge, and drainage projects. Review and coordinate utility plans of adjustment.
•Track progress of utility submittals and prepare estimates of cost and track expenses. Coordinate
utility issues with engineering consultants.
• Writes bid specifications with the Chief Inspector for in-house storm and street projects.
• Compiles information regarding annexations by cities and updates County parcel and municipal
maps. Coordinates with other departments and municipalities for deed research, land ownership
• Collects and analyzes data related to traffic counts, pavement conditions, and bridge conditions for
roadways and bridges in the unincorporated areas of St. Charles County. Assists Highway
Superintendent in allocating maintenance funds to minimize expenditures and prolong pavement and
• Works with Engineering Inspectors to complete final inspections of work done on County right-of-way
under special use permit.
• Attends public meetings for improvement projects as a public liaison for the department.
• Civil Engineering required with advanced education desirable. Other degrees related to
computer aided drafting or mapping may be considered.
• A motor vehicle driver's license and satisfactory driving record.
•Certification as a Professional Engineer and/or Registered Land Surveyor by the Missouri State
Board for Professional Architects, Engineers, and Land Surveyors is desirable.
• Two to four years of progressively responsible engineering in civil engineering design or
• An equivalent combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge,
skills, and abilities may be considered.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
• Requires knowledge of principles, practices, methods and techniques of civil engineering,
surveying and transportation planning. Knowledge of St. Charles County roadway standards
and specifications in the Unified Development Ordinance.
• Ability to read, draft and interpret complicated plans, specifications, estimates and legal
descriptions. Ability to review construction, right-of-way, and site plans and recognize
deviations from County codes or accepted engineering practices.
•Ability to research County records including deeds, road plat books, survey plats, etc. Ability to
operate a variety of computer software programs such as AutoCAD, Microsoft Word, and
•Must have and maintain a motor vehicle driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record.
• Familiarity with state statues concerning County’s authority over work on the public right-of-way.
• Employment will be contingent on successfully passing a full criminal background check.
TO APPLY: All applications must be submitted only through our Self-Service Website at http://hr.sccmo.org/hr. We do not accept faxed, e-mailed or print applications. For your convenience, if needed, terminals are available on site at the HR Dept., 201 N. Second St., Room 522, St. Charles, MO 63301 Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
Applications will be accepted on a continuing basis until the position is filled or a sufficient number of qualified candidates have applied.
St. Charles County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. St. Charles County is a drug and alcohol free work place. A pre-employment drug screen is required for all positions.
Church's Chicken - - 3420 N. Kings Highway [Line Cook / Fry Cook] As a Cook at Church's Chicken, you'll: Set up the batter table and prepare batter m…Read More
Church's Chicken - - 3420 N. Kings Highway [Food Service / Crew Member / Counter Service] As a Guest Service Team Member at Church's Chicken, you'll:…Read More