COCONINO COUNTY is seeking a highly experienced Chief Financial Officer
who will lead the Countys long-term strategic financial efforts as well as
engage and lead the Finance Departments team of seasoned professionals.
The individual will represent the County and County Board of Supervisors to
citizens, outside agencies and partners. The Chief Financial Officer is a member
of the County Managers Leadership Team, reporting directly to the County
Manager and will perform work of unusual difficulty directing the financial
operations of the organization. Coconino County is nationally recognized for
its strong and innovative financial philosophy and practices, and an ideal
candidate will demonstrate the ability to continue to build on this success.
The Chief Financial Officer is a key contributor to the transformational
leadership vision of Coconino County that supports a strong sense of belonging
and deep trust. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated leadership success
in a comparable or larger complex organization, a deep understanding of
financial challenges and opportunities, an experienced financial subject
matter expert with governmental accounting experience, a commitment to
public service, and the ability to function in a fast-paced, high-demand and
This is an opportunity to join one of the top employers in Northern
Arizona. The Finance Department is located at the Countys
Administration Center in Flagstaff at an elevation of 7,000 feetan area
known for fresh air, spectacular beauty, a relaxed lifestyle and fourseason
outdoor activity. Incentives include far-reaching opportunities to
contribute to an empowered team culture and generous comprehensive
salary/benefits package. For more information about this exciting
opportunity, please visit
Minimum Qualifications:Bachelor's Degree in finance, accountancy, or related field, and five years progressively responsible experience in public-sector financial management; OR any combination of education, training and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
Must obtain an Arizona's driver's license by date of hire and maintain it throughout employment. Final job offer will be contingent upon a satisfactory 5-year Arizona Motor Vehicle Report.
This position is exempt from overtime.
This position is safety sensitive.
This position is at-will.
Note:Must successfully complete a criminal history check.
Preferences:CPA strongly preferred.
Theideal candidatewill have City or County government financial experience; CPA, MBA or Government Finance Certification; experience in compiling financial statements; auditing experience; budget forecasting and presentation experience; purchasing experience including RFP; experience working with elected board and community leaders; networking skills for partnerships with other agencies. The candidate will have experience with financial projections over a long-term horizon and 10-year plans. The candidate will have strong budgeting experience and experience analyzing economic forecasts and trends. The individual is a strong leader, with the ability to create and sustain internal and external partnerships and demonstrate strong communication skills.
For more information about the position, please visit: and for information on County benefits, please visit: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Considerable knowledge of:
- Governmental accounting practices, including purchasing management and financial reporting/auditing
- Fiscal management practices applicable to entitlement and grant-funded programs
- Laws, codes, regulations and directives that govern public sector financial and purchasing management
- Computerized financial management system administration
- Principles and practices of positive supervision
- Principles and practices of public administration and strategic planning
Working knowledge of:
- GAAP, GASB pronouncements and Uniform Accounting Manual for Arizona Counties
- Systems analysis and data management
- Contract negotiation and administration
- Public-sector financial and budgetary management
- Evaluating financial data and making changes to improve effectiveness and efficiency of service delivery
- Analyze complex administrative problems and develop appropriate solutions
- Effectively carry out difficult and complex assignments requiring considerable independent judgment and initiative with a minimum of supervision
- Work safely and support the culture of workplace safety
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, appointed department directors, staff, other agencies, the media and the general public
- Follow written and verbal instructions
- Communicate complex financial topics effectively both verbally and in writing
2365 Harrodsburg Road, Suite A325 Lexington, Kentucky 40504 (859) ###-####