Medical Technologist - Microbiology - Weekend Position
University of Pennsylvania Health System
Healthcare - Allied Health
Loading some great jobs for you...
Penn Medicine Chester County Hospital is seeking a Medical Technologist to work dayshift, every other weekend in our Microbiology Lab. The ideal candidate will have plate reading experience. Individual must be certified as a Medical Laboratory Scientist, Medical Technologist or Medical Laboratory Technician. Individual must be able to train on dayshift. The laboratory at Penn Medicine Chester County Hospital is state of the art with excellent equipment, a knowledgeable staff and a pleasant environment.
General Summary Statement
Position Requirements: Performs a variety of routine and complex tests in one or more laboratory sections. Demonstrates thorough knowledge of laboratory operations, including theoretical aspects of test procedures as well as other policies and routines. Authorized by the laboratory director to perform testing (and result reporting*) in the clinical laboratory for which they have been proved competent. Works under minimal supervision for specimen processing , test performance, and result reporting. Note: *Supervisory or director review is not required to report clinical laboratory results.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Introduces self when interacting with patients, families, visitors or other employees
Demonstrates respect for patient, visitor and employee privacy and confidentiality.
Communicates clearly, directly and in a professional manner. Provides information/facts
accurately, completely and in a timely manner. Appropriate telephone etiquette demonstrated
2. Accomplishes routine and stat testing within established guidelines and produces accurate
results. Makes correct judgments about the validity of test results based on quality control data
and patient status.
3. Accommodates increased workload at peak times and maintains quality of results
4. Orients and instructs new employees or students in the performance of tests, use of equipment,
and laboratory section protocols as assigned. Performs testing independently, demonstrating a
thorough knowledge of department protocols and theoretical aspects of testing procedures.
Maintains complete and accurate logs or documents including QC, as required, according to
Uses auto verification and associated technologies to release results where validated. Verifies
non-auto verified results before release. Consults supervisor for assistance when necessary
Recognizes critical values and reportable results according to protocol. Reports critical
results appropriately to authorized caregivers and documents this action in the laboratory
Reports and documents QA related incidents to the section supervisor and the Laboratory?s
Understands and performs information system functions necessary for operations
5. Accepts constructive feedback about performance or behaviors and shows evidence of change.
Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for actions.
6. Demonstrates creative thinking and problem solving and knows when to seek appropriate
7. Familiarity with Laboratory Exposure Control Plan which includes the Chemical Hygiene
Plan, Hazard Communication Program and OSHA Blood Borne Pathogen standard and applies
standard precautions to work practices and knows how to appropriately deal with chemical or
Demonstrates safe practices in the performance of assigned job duties.
Reports any unsafe practices or conditions to appropriate responsible parties.
8. Offers to help other employees by providing assistance when needed
9. Follows Hospital and departmental rules and policies.
Maintains confidentiality of information.
Keep in-services, training and credentials current.
10. Performs as a team player ? displays consideration for the needs of others and work
11. Open to change and different approaches to work.
Recommends new approaches to solving operational problems, issues or concerns
12. Maintains good attendance/lateness standards in accordance with Hospital policy.