Canada - Montreal-Canada - Toronto-Canada - Vancouver-US - California - Carlsbad-US - California - Los Angeles-US - California - San Francisco-US - Colorado - Denver-US - Georgia - Atlanta-US - Illinois - Chicago-US - Massachusetts - Boston-US - Pennsylvania - Philadelphia-US - South Carolina - Greenville-US - Texas - Houston-US - Washington - Seattle
When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do important work, and you'll be valued and recognized for your performance. With talented managers and inspiring coworkers to support you, you'll find the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
How will you make an impact?
The Business Manager is primarily responsible for effective and efficient commercial management of established and new API projects/products being run at small molecule API facilities (in the US and Europe). This involves building strong client relationships in order to sell repeat business and negotiate beneficial long term contracts. In addition, an API Business Manager is actively involved in the new business sales process by acting as a liaison between the API site Quoting team and the Business Development Executives (BDE) team during the screening and quoting process to ensure that the most effective proposal is generated to meet the client need. The Business Manager is also responsible for selling scope changes.
The scope of the position covers five major areas:
Commercial Management of Established API Business New Business Development including the involvement during the selling process Relationship Management of Established API Business Project Overview of new and existing business (Project Steering & Execution is led by the respective Project Manager) Internal Reporting and following Policies
The Business Manager's objectives are to maximize client satisfaction while ensuring Patheon API business unit revenue, EBITA and cash flow targets are achieved.
What will you do / Essential Functions:
Commercial Management of Established API Business
* Understands the requirements of clients (e.g. via joining regular project execution calls) and communicates them internally so that the best solution can be found, Hosts client visits. * Formulates and finalizes the quotation for repeat business. * Works with the legal department to execute and implement long-term supply agreements, ensuring that the business framework (commercial terms, forecasting and order horizon, communications, etc.) is optimized. * Compiles strategic business plans / cases for established products to support internal decision making, including action lists to manage product life-cycle. * Provides regular revenue forecast updates to trigger internal development and manufacturing processes
New Business Development
* Collaborates with and supports the Business Development Executives in [SB2] closing new business. * Ensures accurate scoping for proposals with client and BDE. Provides chemical and technical expertise to client discussions. * Supports the internal costing process, writes new business proposals, joins client telecons and meetings, as needed. * Hosts client visits. * Supports Pipeline and Portfolio Management with respective input.
Relationship Management of Established API Business
* Ensures development and management of the business relationship with established accounts, through understanding the client's organization and business needs, identifying the decision structure related to API supply and third party manufacturing. * Supports BDE's in building relationship with new accounts. * Requires emotional intelligence; able to resolve disputes in a constructive, positive manner * Focused on long term view with clients; recommends what activities are required, when, in the development process. Maintains excellent relations with production, regulatory, quality and analytical functions at our production sites. Ensures resources and production capacity is available through clinical and commercial campaigns
* Works closely together with the respective Project Manager and Project Team including Quality and GM to steer individual customer projects, meet timelines and contractual obligations and sell scope changes. * Sucessfully steers the resolution of significant issues with the client related to client complaints, disputes, costing, quality (product deviations and rejections), manufacturing (production, deliveries) and invoices. * Is involved in project execution depending on challenges in the project. * Ensures invoices are issued and paid on time. * Hosts client visits together with Project Management.
* Maintains accurate and up to date demand and revenue forecast for own product portfolio. * Works closely with clients and Strategic Business Intelligence to align forecasting between market information and client information. Provide input for Strategic Business Revue Meetings and other reports as required. * Provides relevant documentation on proposals, contracts etc. and follows the internal Business Management Policy.
* Significant impact on revenue and EBITDA forecasting * Networks with key contacts mainly inside own area of expertise
* Normally receives little instruction on day to day work and typically only general instructions on new assignments.
How will you get there / Education
Bachelor's, Masters or PhD Degree in Life Sciences (Chemistry with business knowledge).
* 5 plus years of previous related experience in project management, account management, sales or marketing with internal or external client-facing responsibilities. * API contract manufacturing experience in required
* Equivalent combinations of education, training, and relevant work experience may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
* Analytical skills, selling skills, Business-oriented, Service and Client-oriented. * In-depth knowledge of the pharma business, industry and manufacturing processes. * Thorough understanding of GMP regulations and how they are applied in clinical and commercial API production * Excellent relationships skills at all levels and Experience in customer and internal relationship. * Profound communication and negotiation skills. * Excellent English language skills and international mobility. * Cultural sensitivity. * Passion for the business. * Result oriented. * Resilient, extensive travel requirement. * Ability to travel
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission-enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principle of diversity and is particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request.