With general direction from the Shop Supervisor, provides a wide range of technical services on company buses, vans, and automobiles. This position that requires significant technical training and/or experience. Also works under the direction of the Operations Manager.Specific Duties:
- Performs thorough, accurate Preventative Maintenance inspections.
- Following schedules completes all required PM maintenance operations including lubrication, fluid changes, brake adjustments, and tire rotation.
- With direction from the Fleet Maintenance Supervisor, performs unscheduled maintenance as needed.
- Performs complex operations including engine, electrical, fuel, brake, and exhaust repairs and field tests. This requires interpreting and working from drawings, specifications and other technical materials.
- Must be able to utilize a ladder and other elevation equipment to access the roof of buses and elevated light fixtures for repairs and maintenance.
- Must operate CDL and Non-CDL vehicles (buses and vans) to perform road tests, as well as shuttle in an out of the garage for repairs and maintenance. This is a safety sensitive job and all duties are regulated by the DOT.
- Must be able to lift heavy equipment (up to 100lbs) including brake drums, tires, ladders, tool chests, floor jacks, etc. when necessary.
- Must be able to operate bench grinder, torch, drill press, jack and jack stands, Sawzall, oil pumps, power washer, parts cleaner and other hand tools required to perform work.
- Performs emergency roadside services as needed. Requires operation of either replacement vehicle or utility truck.
- Emergency conditions may require calls at home, extended hours, or weekend work.
- Document repairs and parts on work orders completely and accurately.
- Maintains tools and work places so that conditions are neat and orderly.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with all safety provisions associated with vehicle maintenance. Understands OSHA standards and provisions.
- Understands and conforms to State EPA regulations regarding disposal of toxic waste substances.
- Performs other duties as required.
Knowledge and Skills
- High school diploma or equivalent supplemented by specialized vehicle and equipment repair courses.
- At least three (3) years experience as a mechanic in an automotive, school bus, trucking or heavy equipment environment, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possession of a valid Commercial Driver s License and DOT physical (must be able to attain within 3 months of hire).
- Ability to safely lift a minimum of 100 lbs.
- Provide own hand tools required for regular maintenance.
- Knowledge of tools, procedures, technical skills and safety rules used in the maintenance and repair of gasoline, diesel, and alternative powered equipment.
- Written and verbal communication skills, and customer service skills are essential. Ability to deal with problems and find solutions.
- Must have knowledge of Federal and State regulations.
- Operational knowledge of motorized gasoline, diesel and alternative fueled vehicles, and shop equipment and tools.
- Scheduling and setting priorities for work to be accomplished.
- Inspection of equipment and diagnose mechanical defects.
- Propane/gasoline medium duty truck engine experience preferred,
- ASE Certification(s) a plus
Associated topics: athletic, building maintenance, groundskeeper, land fill, maintenance, plant, podadore, rug, superintendent, tree pruner
Associated topics: athletic, dig, laborer, landscape, maintenance, mower, sod, superintendent, sweep, tree maintenance