Transformational, Visionary, and Servant Leader, Assistant Director - Department of Licensing
State of Washington
Loading some great jobs for you...
Our purpose: \"Helping every Washington resident live, work, drive, and thrive.\"
Our values: Trust, Respect, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We are seeking a transformational, visionary, and servant leader who views the world and everyone in it through a lens of diversity, equity, and inclusion. A leader who has the personal courage, tenacity, and humility to hold themselves and all others responsible for embodying our purpose and values.
We want to talk with culturally competent leaders who are passionate about ensuring equitable and meaningful access to our services and who are ready to play a very visible and vital role in developing and implementing an effective, sustainable, equitable and inclusive service delivery model across our agency. Work that is at the center of our purpose to help every Washington resident live, work, drive, and thrive!
We are reaching out nationwide to connect with leaders who have experience, expertise, and innate strengths to:
* Develop a dynamic team to design a people-first culture in our Customer Relations Division, with nearly 600 employees in 56 Licensing Service Offices across the state, issuing 35,830 original driver licenses and 125,685 renewals in 2018, as well as our Customer Service call center and Vehicle and Vessel licensing program. Support and prepare our employees to do their best work, and create a consistent employee and customer experience that is reflective of our purpose and values. * Model courageous leadership, including being bold to share different perspectives, brave to challenge the status quo, and fearless to seek and leverage feedback. Lean into challenges, resolve conflicts, develop and support staff, leverage ideas, break down silos, remove barriers, and improve processes. * Join our Executive Leadership Team, helping lead the agency to live out our purpose and values and meet our goals. Partner with amazing employees across the organization, customers and community partners throughout the state, using holistic, creative, and strategic thinking to develop the best solutions and identify and seize opportunities. * Emulate cultural competency, modeling self-awareness of their own assumptions and bias, working to understand the worldview of diverse populations, developing and practicing appropriate, relevant, and sensitive strategies and skills, and advocating on behalf of the needs of others in their community.
All leaders who have mastered these key competencies are encouraged to apply:
* Leading, developing, and leveraging managers and staff. They are expert coaches and communicators with polished presentation, facilitation, and negotiation skills. These leaders know how to connect with staff at all levels by creating synergy across a large, geographically disperse organization by empowering, inspiring, and influencing their management team. * Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts. They are culturally competent individuals who embraces and embed core principles in every interaction, every decision, and every action. Their approach tackles tough issues while creating a safe and supportive environment. * Partnering and collaborating at the management level. They are holistic and creative thinkers, strategic planners, and relationship builders who are resourceful in nature, knowing when to connect with others to increase value and achieve results. They also understand the dynamics of power and are conscious of the impact of their decisions and actions. * Leading, developing, and supporting a large customer and/or public service organization. They understand and are rewarded by the great responsibility we have as public servants who hold the key to nearly every residents' ability to prove their identity so that residents can live, work, drive, and thrive.
The official title is Customer Relations Division Assistant Director, but what is a title without driving purpose and genuine passion?
We invite you to picture yourself doing fun and deeply meaningful work as part of our team. Imagine leading our agency from where we are to where we want to be; earning the trust of those we serve in providing a vital government service; and creating a legacy of advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
If this role speaks to who you are, we want to hear from you!
This is a full-time position that is Exempt from Washington civil service (EMS Band 4). Salary will depend on qualifications. The hiring authority may make a hiring decision at any time. Initial screening will begin April 15, 2019. It is to the applicants' advantage to submit materials as soon as possible.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
* Demonstrated experience and ability to lead, develop, and leverage managers and staff. * Demonstrated experience and ability to lead a large organization operating in locations throughout the state. * Demonstrated experience and ability to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts. * Demonstrated experience and ability to model cultural competency, employing a thorough knowledge of the morals and beliefs of other cultures. * Demonstrated experience and ability to partner and collaborate at the management level. * Demonstrated experience and ability to develop and implement holistic, creative, and strategic ideas and initiatives. * Demonstrated experience and ability to lead, develop, and support a large customer/public service organization.
Highly Desired Qualifications
* Experience partnering and collaborating at the executive level. * Experience working with state government budget and policy. * Experience interpreting and applying government laws, rules, and policies. * Experience working with state legislative and rule making processes. * Bachelor's degree or higher in public or business administration, organizational leadership, law, or closely related field.
Make a difference. Join our team!
We value diverse perspectives and life experiences. We employ and serve people of all backgrounds including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and veterans.
We are one of the most public facing state agencies and the second largest revenue generating agency in Washington State. We regularly interact with over 6 million Washingtonians and collect nearly $3.3 billion in taxes and fees annually. We know our services are essential to our customers' ability to live, work, drive, and thrive. We take this responsibility seriously and are committed to ensuring every resident has equitable and meaningful access to our services.
We serve all the people of Washington State with pride and are developing the systems and standards necessary to achieve better outcomes for all of our residents. Come join us in changing the way government delivers services, and help build a legacy of commitment to and excellence in diversity, equity, and inclusion!
Click here for more information about our agency culture and diversity, equity, and inclusion plans; and to learn about the many additional benefits we offer!
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, the following steps are required:
* Select the large Apply button at the top of this job announcement. If you haven't already done so, you will need to create an applicant profile. * Upload and attach your cover letter specific to this position and your current resume. Your materials must also include three professional references with name, title, and current contact information. References may be listed in your applicant profile, included on your resume, or uploaded as a separate attachment. Additional references are accepted.
You are welcome to include the name and pronoun you would like to be referred to in your materials and we will honor this as you interact with our award-winning diverse and inclusive organization.
If you have any questions or need assistance completing the application process, contact the recruiter listed below prior to when this job posting closes AND before you submit your application.
Veteran's Preference Notice
To take advantage of veteran's preference, please do the following:
* Email a copy of your DD214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22 or USDVA signed verification of service letter to ...@dol.wa.gov * Use a subject line of \"VET for CRD AD 19-025\" * Include your name as it appears on your application in careers.wa.gov
The candidate pool certified from this recruitment may be used to fill future similar vacancies for up to six months.
The Washington State Department of Licensing is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex (including gender identity), marital status, sexual orientation, race, creed, color, national origin, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process, during the recruitment process, or who need this job announcement in an alternative format, may contact the Human Resources Office at 360-###-#### or may email ...@dol.wa.gov. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call our ASL interpreter via Video Phone at 360.###.####.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Laurie Milligan at 360.###.#### or email ...@dol.wa.gov. Please use a subject line that includes \"CRD AD 19-025.
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.