~This posting is open to internal DES employees only~
The salary listed does not reflect the Cost of Living Adjustment of an additional 3% beginning July 1, 2019
Schedule: 6:00am ? 2:30pm, Monday to Friday
We have multiple positions that may be located in the Lacey, Olympia, or Tumwater areas servicing on and off campus properties.
What you will be doing:
A great day-shift opportunity as a custodian of the state. The high performance you provide in the buildings you clean for our customers is so vital and essential in allowing them to be productive in performing their jobs.
Within DES, the Buildings and Grounds Division provides clean, safe, and healthy work environments for the Capitol Campus facilities and state agencies. As a Custodian 2, you'll provide essential support to the Custodial, Refuse Recycle Services mission by promoting a pleasant experience for Capitol Campus visitors.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for someone that has fortitude, can listen and follow directions, knows how to stay on task, is organized and detail oriented, and has a great attitude and personality as you may come in contact with customers.
Why YOU would want this job:
You will be working on a team, and you will have your own assigned area. This position works during business hours, so you will be working directly with your customers, members of public and government. You will also support campus and local events such as the Legislative Session and community events We also incorporate safety into our culture. We strive for an environment where our employees are and stay safe.
That's the work side, but let us tell you about the real bonuses you will find here that you won't find in other places:
* We \"clean for health\", meaning that we use sustainable products for YOUR protection as well as others.
* On-the-job security (working with your team and provided 2-way radios to reach someone at any time)
* The State offers GREAT benefits to include Annual Leave, Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, Medical/Dental/Life Insurances, and Shift Differential.
* Full-Time employment
* Regular raises (milestone based)
* 1st Shift hours (aka Days Shift) can allow you some flexibility with your personal life such as: continuing education in the evenings, holding outside employment during off-hours, possibly not paying daycare if you work opposite hours than your other caregiver.
* And many promotional opportunities within DES.
If you want to work in a place that truly values you and your ideas to improve our processes and how we meet our customer expectations, if you want to feel empowered, engaged, and motivated as you work with like-minded individuals that work hard for our customers and are just as passionate about our beautiful buildings and grounds, then this is THE place to be!
Who we are:
At the Department of Enterprise Services you will join a team that encourages creativity and works smarter. We do not believe in the notion, \"this is how we have always done it\", instead we actively embody, \"how can we do it better?\"
As a DES team member you are trained to listen to our customers and develop work processes around their satisfaction. We build and maintain a human centered culture, a work place where our customers are heard and matter and you are appreciated for the skills you bring to the team every day. We look for new team members who are dedicated to learning how we listen and understand our customer's expectations to create the solutions they need.
We are an agency passionately focused on \"The Big Three\":
* Customer Satisfaction,
* Team Member Satisfaction, and
* Financial Health.
We measure our success and continually work to improve our performance based on these measures. We want to ensure both current and new team members see themselves in our Big Three, beginning with respect for people. Duties
As our customer's custodial service provider of choice, you will ensure our Capitol Campus facilities are cleaned uniformly and to appropriate standards.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
* Providing housekeeping duties on the Capitol Campus and other Off Campus areas as assigned.
* Responding to spills or other immediate cleaning needs during the day.
* Cleaning and restocking restrooms, trash removal, glass cleaning, stocking custodial pantries, and unlocking buildings.
* Cleaning ashtrays, entry ways, putting down deicer and shoveling snow during winter months.
* Dusting, vacuuming, cleaning, and wiping surfaces during business hours.
* Setting up tables, chairs, and other items as needed in support of events.
* Setting up trash and recycle containers, and emptying them as needed.
Note: To support the continuity of operations, this position remains available in the event of an emergency related to contracting needs. Qualifications
* At least six (6) months of experience in custodial, general or building maintenance, grounds keeping, or semi-skilled carpentry, electrical and/or plumbing repair work.
* Must possess a valid driver's license.
* The ability to read, write, and speak English.
* The ability to read, understand and follow instructions provided verbally and/or in writing.
* The ability to lift up to 50 pounds or more.
* The ability to stand, walk, stoop, bend, reach, push, pull, and kneel.
* The ability to work with a backpack vacuum or floor crew machinery for up to 8 hours.
* Wear a uniform and use prescribed chemicals on a daily basis which may require the use of protective equipment.
* Successful completion of floor and carpet maintenance training is required prior to being assigned to the floor crew. The work is to be performed as instructed in the training, with assignments made as to where work is to be done and the time in which it is to be accomplished. Employee may work together with other crew members or alone within their assigned buildings or areas to ensure their work is performed to established standards.
* Work in and around building occupants, visitors, or other trades personnel.
* The ability to exercise discretion in the workplace, respecting the privacy and confidentiality of information.
* Please Note: Temporary inability to use prescribed chemicals or equipment will require documented medical evidence and, if not resolved, will prevent successful performance of required duties of this position. Supplemental Information
The Department of Enterprise Services celebrates our differences and we are committed to a workplace that supports equal opportunity employment and inclusion regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity diversity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We will also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Persons with a disability who need assistance with their application or need this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) ###-#### or toll free (877) ###-####. TTY users should first call 711 to access the Washington Relay Service.
This position is in a bargaining unit and falls under the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the state of Washington and the Federation for State Employees (WFSE).
Should you have any questions regarding this position or the online application, contact Angie Anderson at (360) ###-#### or ...@des.wa.gov.