senior accounting manager, Technical Accounting - Seattle, WA
312 N 83rd St
Loading some great jobs for you...
Job Summary and Mission
This job contributes to Starbucks success by managing teams that record and report accounting information so that financial and operating reports accurately reflect the condition of the business. We are looking for a highly skilled and ambitious professional who is passionate for technical accounting research on a wide variety of complex transactions in order to support our business processes and growth. These include but are not limited to: revenue recognition, inventory costing, hedging and derivatives, debt and equity investments, and business combination. The ideal candidate provides support and leadership to accounting groups and functions outside of the immediate team and leads cross-functional projects to improve processes and the comprehension of accounting data. Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
Leadership - Setting goals for the work group, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together:
* Acts as a leader among peers, incorporating key priorities for both accounting operations and the total Company. * Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the immediate team of direct reports promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results. * May manage a large team, and other managers. * Supports the implementation of company programs to ensure the success of the Company. * Supports the implementation of company programs to ensure the success of the Company. * Works collaboratively with cross-functional teams to coordinate and provide guidance on implementation of complex accounting issues. Ensures effective communication and timely resolution of conflicts.
Planning and Execution - Developing strategic and operational plans for the work group, managing execution, and measuring results:
* Ensures the accuracy of reported financial results within published deadlines. * Improves existing processes to increase speed, efficiency and accuracy. * May manage the development of other accounting organizations, especially for newly acquired or start-up entities, in order to increase their effectiveness around US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Starbucks policies and procedures. * Plans and manages business unit/department processes and practices to ensure that programs are aligned with company business goals and objectives. * Prepares, communicates and educates client groups and team on changes in policies and practices within the organization.
Business Requirements - Providing functional expertise and executing functional responsibilities:
* Ensures that accounting policies, procedures and internal controls are updated as necessary and communicated to the appropriate individuals. * Identifies and communicates risk areas and emerging trends with business unit and department management. Develops responses and takes action as appropriate. * Leads team in generating strategic and tactical recommendations in support of Company objectives and then presents them to senior management. Conducts ad hoc analyses as needed to support decision making as well as to quantify opportunities, risks and alternative conclusions. * May plan and manage special projects and ensure that various organizations and entities are aligned with corporate objectives. * May provide indirect corporate oversight and leadership of accounting, financial reporting and internal control functions of Starbucks entities, both international and domestic. * May work with business units and finance departments to identify and communicate various risks and opportunities across all entities. * Supports director or senior leader in development of strategic plans, annual operating budgets and quarterly forecasts.
Partner Development & Team Building - Providing partners with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities and building effective teams:
* Challenges and inspires partners to achieve business results. * Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews. * Ensures partners adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
Summary of Experience
* Progressive experience managing varied accounting functions with solid understanding of current accounting standards and practices (7 years) * Developing, interpreting and implementing accounting policies and processes in a high growth environment (5 years) * Management experience (5 years) * Multi-national corporate experience * Experience in technical accounting research on complex transactions, with strong focus on analyzing deal terms, applying appropriate guidance, preparing accounting position papers and communicating to business partners and senior management preferred * Implementation of new accounting pronouncements; monitoring/assessing emerging accounting guidance preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing * Ability to develop innovative solutions and process improvements based on technical accounting knowledge, analytical skills, and understanding of financial systems * Ability to apply knowledge of multidisciplinary business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities * Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and internal controls * Strong problem-solving skills and ability to manage multiple projects in a high growth environment * Ability to build relationships, drive change and work effectively in cross-functional activities * Ability to work with individuals from across cultures, languages, and geography * BS/BA degree in Finance, Accounting or relevant field preferred * CPA preferred
Starbucks is an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals; including minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities, and regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. Starbucks will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all federal, state, and local ordinances.
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.