NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children's hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Per Diem Nurse Practitioner with our Emergency Department Follow-up and Care Transitions Center.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for the provision, coordination, and assurance of comprehensive nursing care using nursing process and pertinent standards of care, the diagnosis of illness and physical conditions, and performance of therapeutic, corrective, and prescriptive measures of the designated patient population.
This team provides indirect clinical care to all patients who have been discharged from the health system Emergency Departments (TH-Perelman ED, Cobble Hill, & NYU Langone -Brooklyn ED) & Virtual Urgent Care by making follow-up phone calls. In addition to telephone assessments, APPs are responsible for reviewing all late arriving labs, imaging, and other results. APPs may modify, discontinue, or start prescriptions that were prescribed in the ED or per laboratory results. They provide other care transition services such as verbal hand-off discussions with PCPs, specialists, etc. All telephone encounters are documented in Epic.
* Monitors and trends the cost effectiveness of the position, particularly as it relates to the efficiency and performance indicators established for the service.
* Assists in the preparation, implementation, and evaluation of research protocols when applicable.
* Works collaboratively with nursing and other disciplines in the development and implementation of clinical studies within the area of expertise.
* Uses evidence-based health care literature to advise and support appropriate practice changes within the designated service.
* Participates in the development and monitoring of patient outcomes per established practice protocols for purposes of quality and performance improvement.
* Serves as a clinical expert and resource for the education of peers and other health professionals.
* Maintains current expertise in area of practice.
* Promotes own professional growth and development in clinical and managerial role.
* Considers needs and behaviors of specific patient age and cultural groups in all patient care.
* Evaluates treatment and health care plans for effectiveness and modifies per clinical standards and practice protocols.
* Practices as a member of the allied health staff according to the rules and regulations of the Medical Staff and bylaws as outlined in the delineation of privileges.
* Prescribes medical equipment, devices, physical and occupational therapy, and home health services per practice protocol.
* Prescribes in-patient and discharge medications according to New York State law, including controlled substances with DEA authorization.
* Works collaboratively with the attending physician, consulting physician(s), and other disciplines to identify, develop, and implement an appropriate plan of care that maximizes individual patient/family preference and enhances quality, access, and cost-effective outcomes.
* Formulates the plan of care, along with the attending physician, patient and family, based on expected goals of care and length of stay.
* Orders customary laboratory, radiological and diagnostic studies per practice protocols, differentiates between normal/abnormal findings and follows protocols for abnormal findings, which may include referral to consulting physicians per customary pattern of the attending MD or with the collaborating physician.
* Performs complete health history, physical examination and psychosocial assessment of patients within the designated practice or clinical unit.
* Functions as a respectful member of the health care team.
* Participates in designated activities related to professional nursing standards and regulations of relevant outside agencies.
* Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Service Standards and incorporates them into the performance of responsibilities.
* Facilitates the continuity of care across the continuum of services, e.g. home care, other facilities, appointments with MDs etc.
* Provides consultation about the therapeutic regimen to the nursing staff responsible for the patients care in the hospital setting.
* Works collaboratively with nursing leadership to ensure timely communications with the nursing staff.
* Works collaboratively with the attending physician to maintain timely and appropriate communication with family members, housestaff, other disciplines and ancillary services.
* Participates in the development and revision of interdisciplinary and nursing standards, patient and family education materials as relevant to area of practice and expertise.
* Works collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team including the attending physician to develop and implement the therapeutic plan of care for a group of patients and ensure communication with family members.
* Plans and organizes care to meet individual patient needs and to ensure appropriate clinical resource utilization per protocols, pathways, and other means.
To qualify you must have a
Licensure: Current registration as Professional Nurse in New York and Registration as Nurse Practitioner in New York; DEA
Education: Master's Degree in Nursing; Board Certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner; BLS
Required Licenses: Registered Nurse License-NYS, Nurse Practitioner-NYS; DEA
At least five years of clinical nursing practice in the care of the patient population served; at least one year of NP or PA experience is required; ability to apply nursing process toward achievement of specific outcomes in an organized fashion, which addresses patient/family safety and satisfaction. Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills, effective communication skills, creative problem solving and excellent critical thinking and leadership; previously demonstrated ability to facilitate group processes and work cohesively and collaboratively as member of the interdisciplinary team; Effective change agent. Physical stamina, manual dexterity, visual and aural acuity to perform responsibilities. Membership in professional specialty organizations desirable
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal \"EEO is the law\" poster or visit for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.
Associated topics: care nurse, certified nurse midwife, cnm, crna, gyn, locum, midwife, nurse practitioner, prac, specialist
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...