NYU School of Medicine is one of the nation's top-ranked medical schools. For 175 years, NYU School of Medicine has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history and enrich the lives of countless people. An integral part of NYU Langone Health, the School of Medicine at its core is committed to improving the human condition through medical education, scientific research, and direct patient care. For more information, go to med.nyu.edu, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Animal Research Technician I.
In this role, the successful candidate Responsible for participating in the cleaning and maintenance of animal quarters. Provides routine care of research animals. Monitors and controls environmental conditions. Maintains a variety of records (log of room activities). Monitors supplies for specific animal quarters. Assists with relocation of facility equipment and supplies. Assists in ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements related to care of laboratory animals.
* CLEANING Rotates animal cages and racks for cleaning following established schedule. Sweeps and mops animal quarters thoroughly. Disinfects walls and sanitizes animal quarters using appropriate compounds and techniques. Performs additional cleaning of area as required, or upon request.Required to change up to and including a minimum of 300 cages per day.
* ANIMAL CARE Feeds animals in assigned areas following established schedule. Provides adequate food, bedding, enrichment devices and water as required. Checks animals daily to identify sick animals.Notifies veterinary technician of any unusual conditions.Weighs animals as required. Assists Veterinary Technician by restraining animals for minor procedures. Administers medications (pills, injections) on weekends and as instructed.Receives, checks in animals and materials and delivers to correct locations.Perform routine weekend and holiday overtime as scheduled.
* ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS Periodically checks temperature, ventilation and lighting in animal rooms and related areas. Adjusts conditions as required. Notifies supervisor of problems with related equipment (heating/air conditioning systems, etc.).
* RECORDKEEPING Records information accurately and promptly. Records, write, and communicate data to all NYULMC staff on the appropriate level. Completes recordkeeping in accordance with outlined procedures. Maintains records in an organized and up-to-date manner.
* INVENTORY CONTROL Maintains adequate supplies by monitoring levels on an ongoing basis. Checks availability of supplies and restocks all areas as required. Advises supervisor of shortages in timely manner.
* EQUIPMENT/SUPPLIES Transports facility equipment and supplies to new locations, as instructed. Completes assignments on timely basis. Reports delays or problems to Supervisor. Orders and maintains an inventory of supplies. Ensures adequate levels of room supplies are available on an ongoing basis.
* REGULATORY COMPLIANCE Maintains awareness of regulatory requirements applicable to responsibilities.Follows departmental procedures in order to implement Enrichment Program for all laboratory animals. Ensures necessary documentation is maintained up-to-date and thorough.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
To qualify you must have a High school diploma and two years experience in an animal research facility.
Able to speak and write fluent English.
AAALAS certification at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) level required.
2 year college degree in an animal or biological sciences course of study may substitute for ALAT. Current and continued enrollment in such a program may substitute for the actual degree. Applicant will be expected to achieve at least ALAT certification within 1 year of hire for continued employment.
3 years of documented animal husbandry experience may substitute for ALAT. Applicant will be expected to achieve at least ALAT certification within 1 year of hire for continued employment..
Required Licenses: Asst Lab Animal Technician
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU School of Medicine provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU School of Medicine is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU School of Medicine's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal \"EEO is the law\" poster or visit for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.
Associated topics: antibody, bacteria, biomedical, dietary, drug, industrial hygienist, pharmacometrics, toxicologist, trauma, virus
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...