The Regional Medical Scientific Director is a credentialed (i.e., MD, PhD, or PharmD) therapeutic and disease area expert who engages in both scientific exchange and research support, when requested, with external scientific leaders and investigators in the medical and scientific community. General Medicine RMSDs provide Scientific Leaders (SLs) balanced, factual, scientific information about non-product areas of interest to Merck related to Neuroscience and Anesthesia and responds to scientific questions from SLs, including questions about Merck products and Merck data. RMSDs are responsible for facilitating and developing peer-level relationships with scientific leaders in the external medical/scientific community including those investigators who have potential interest in participating in Merck research studies. RMSDs provide support for data generation activities including Merck sponsored trials and Merck Independent Investigator Study Programs as prioritized and requested by MRL leadership.
* Identify, establish and manage collaborative professional relationships with national, regional and clinical practice scientific leaders (SLs) and investigators to identify and address scientific needs and to ensure access to medical and scientific information on areas of therapeutic interest and Merck data or products
* Conduct peer-level scientific discussions and maintain a reliable presence to ensure SLs have a MRL/ Medical Affairs contact within Merck
* Engage in proactive non-product discussions regarding scientific issues (e.g., disease states, diagnosis, epidemiology, unmet medical need, and population health, etc) that are intended to enhance scientific discussions or inform/guide MRL/GMA and HH strategy or MRL research programs
* Facilitate appropriate scientific exchange of information with SLs, including integration of scientific knowledge with actionable insights to inform MRL and HH strategies
* Communicate external stakeholder opinions, insights and feedback on new data, clinical trends and the evolving vaccine landscape to Medical Affairs HQ teams to enhance scientific understanding and inform internal MRL strategies
* Represent MRL at scientific meetings and congresses and contribute to MRL debriefs, insight discussions and post-congress reports
* Develop and execute territory plans in alignment with global strategy
* Support data generation activities when requested by MRL leadership, including the Merck Investigator Study Program (MISP), by acting as the primary liaison to investigators interested in developing and performing investigator-initiated research
* When requested by MRL leadership, work to identify potential investigators for consideration of participation in phase II-IV clinical development programs and provide scientific support for MRL sponsored trials as needed
* Provide in-depth scientific support to Health Systems Teams within USMA
* Demonstrate and maintain in-depth knowledge of the assigned disease and therapeutic area(s) through educational efforts, including attendance at relevant conferences, scientific workshops and review of key journals
* Fully comply with all company policies and applicable laws, regulations, and ethical standards
Education Minimum Requirement:
* An advanced degree (M.D., Ph.D. or Pharm.D.), that is relevant to General Medicine - with experience in Neuroscience and/or Anesthesia (operative setting)
Experience- Minimum Requirements:
* A minimum of 3 years prior experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical or healthcare environment
* A minimum of 3 years of clinical and/or research experience (beyond that obtained in the terminal degree program) in a relevant disease area(s) and demonstrated scientific excellence in the therapeutic area OR 5 yrs. of MSL experience in a relevant TA and demonstration of scientific excellence in the therapeutic area.
* Excellent interpersonal, communication, networking and presentation skills\"? Ability to travel up to 50% of the time overnights and reside in the indicated territory
* Deep therapeutic competency; abreast of trends and new information in the therapeutic/translational science area
* Ability to network and partner with important external customers, including scientific leaders, investigators, clinical practice leaders and academic affiliated institutions, including treatment guideline members
* The ability to consolidate and understand complex data sets, plan and/or execute data analyses, summarize or synthesize data and objectively interpret results
* Knowledge of national and society treatment guidelines, clinical research processes, FDA regulations, and OIG, HIPAA and other ethical guidelines, laws, and regulations relevant to the pharmaceutical industry and its external stakeholder environment
* Must be able to organize, prioritize, and work effectively in a constantly changing environment
Preferred Experience and Skills:
* Recognition for scientific excellence in the relevant TA as demonstrated by sustained contributions to the TA via strong clinical, academic and/or translational/basic science research experience in the disease area(s) of interest. Experience in both clinical TA practice and owner of independent research and publication in the relevant TA space is highly desirable (i.e., experience in late stage clinical research as an investigator or key study personnel conducting outcomes research, company sponsored trials, or investigator-initiated trials).
* 5+ years of prior pharmaceutical industry experience (Medical Scientific Liaison or other clinical, medical or research related position) in the relevant TA/disease state
* Prior working experience within the given geography and established relationships with relevant therapeutic area stakeholders
* Demonstrable effective leadership skills (by example and through accomplishments), and the ability to step forward to handle challenges within scope of authority
* Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at ...@merck.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:
Associated topics: care physician, clinic, family medicine, family practice physician, general practice, nocturnist, physician md, practice, practice physician, urgent care
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...