- Hearst Communications
- $53,750.00 -96,740.00/year*
Popular Mechanics - part of Hearst's Enthusiast Group -is looking for an inquisitive, energetic, creatively-driven, and detail-obsessed editor to find, create, oversee and distribute stories and projects across our site, magazine, social feeds, and all other channels.
The assistant news editor will work within our Strategic Content group, reporting on news our audience cares about, as well as trends, explainers, and evergreen pieces, with an eye towards traffic generation, affiliate revenue, audience development and engagement, while simultaneously working on longer-lead projects.
The ideal candidate is enthusiastic about creating and targeting content to performance metrics, and combines an editing and writing background with a passion for and knowledge of the core interests of the Popular Mechanics community.
The role is based in the Enthusiast Group headquarters in the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania.
* Under direction of the Director of Content Operations and the Deputy Editor, originate, plan, and publish content that meets performance metrics
* Produce stories daily while simultaneously creating longer works for our site, magazine, social feeds and other channels
* Hit every deadline. Crush every metric
* At least one year of experience in editing, writing, or content creation and distribution, with a bonus for background in science, tech, machines, games, the outdoors, DIY, repair, maker culture, and anyplace obsessive curiosity leads
* Metric-driven personality and familiarity with traffic tracking systems like Google Analytics, Chartbeat, and Parse.ly
* Must be able to manage feedback from multiple parties and deal with fast-changing priorities
* Ability to thrive under multiple projects while meeting tight deadlines
* Must be able to work flexible hours as needed
Note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in .pdf format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work
Associated topics: book, comedy writer, content writer, copywrite, copywriting, press, publishing, social media, vogue, writer
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...