- Hartford Healthcare
Healthcare - Allied Health
177 Stafford St
Work where every moment matters.
Every day, almost 20,000 Hartford HealthCare employees come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut s most comprehensive healthcare network.
Charlotte Hungerford Hospital is a 122-bed, general acute care community hospital located in Torrington, Connecticut, that serves as a regional health care resource for the 100,000 residents of Litchfield County and Northwest Connecticut.CHH offers personalized attention from an expert team of caregivers and physicians that utilize advanced technology and clinical partnerships in a convenient, safe and comfortable patient environment. POSITION SUMMARY/PURPOSE
Responsible for supplying the hospital with medical supplies and instrumentation that has been sterilized and processed according to AAMI standards. Assembles and delivers specialty carts to appropriate areas and maintains an inventory sufficient to meet the needs of the hospital. Assists with processes and distributes disposable and reusable medical/surgical supplies to all user departments and participates in orientation and education of operating room equipment and supplies.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS 1. Decontamination Properly cleans, and decontaminates instruments, supplies and equipment according to established guidelines. Monitors and maintains records in accordance with quality assurance standards.
2. Instruments Thoroughly inspects and assembles instrumentation for use throughout the organization. Identifies damaged or missing items, labeling and recording as deemed appropriate and notifying appropriate individuals.
3. Case Carts, Floors, Specialty Carts Assembles cases carts as indicated by preference cards for cases scheduled in the operating room. Delivers in a timely fashion and stays aware and responds to changes in the schedule. Demonstrates the ability to neatly organize all work areas for efficient and effective reprocessing. Demonstrates an understanding of stock rotation and appropriate par levels of supplies. Continually reviews OR Schedules and prioritizes in order to meet reprocessing needs Distributes supplies and equipment to units in a timely fashion, and recording transactions as deemed appropriate, currently utilizing the Meditech System. Prepares and delivers code carts recording all transactions, and issuing to patient when appropriate.
4. Attends all required safety training programs and can describe his or her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, and specific job related hazards. Attends all required safety education programs. Provides complete and accurate responses to safety questions. Operates assigned equipment and performs all procedures in a safe manner as instructed. Maintains work area and equipment in the condition required by department standards. Demonstrates proper body mechanics in all functions.
5. Follows the hospital exposure control plans/bloodborne and airborne pathogens. Demonstrates knowledge of techniques, procedures, and correct use of protective barrier equipment. Ensures a safe environment by instituting appropriate control measures. Attends annual education programs.
6. Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment. Interacts with all of the above in a considerate, helpful, and courteous manner as observed by the Sterile Processing Manager and peers. Fosters mature professional relationships with fellow employees in a courteous, friendly manner as measured by management observation and peer input. Maintains professional composure and confidence during stressful situations. Maintains open communication using appropriate chain of command regarding issues. Conducts all work activities with respect for rights and wishes of patients, visitors, families, and fellow employees. Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times as observed by peers and management. Presents neat appearance in proper attire and identification as required by the position, department, and hospital policy. Continuously displays a \"can do\" attitude within the department and across departmental lines to contribute to the overall customer service program in place at the hospital. 7. Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a department team inter- and intradepartmentally to facilitate the department s ability to meet its goals and objectives. Participates in staff meetings as determined by the SPD Coordinator Supports the hospital s mission, policies, and procedures through attendance and participation at committee meetings, if applicable. Utilizes automated system to communicate inter- and interdepartmentally, as appropriate. Willingly offers assistance to all others when requested as observed by the Sterile Processing Manager or Lead Tech. Supports hospital and CPD department policies, programs, and procedures through works and/or actions as observed by the nurse manager. Completes work assignments on time/readily accepts assignments as observed by the SPD Coordinator or Lead Tech. Reports to work on time and is at work as scheduled, as observed by the Sterile Processing Manager or Lead Tech.
8. Pursues and/or maintains current knowledge/certification. Pursues professional growth and development. Attends hospital sponsored training programs as required by department. Attends annual infection control/safety in-services as required by hospital policy and procedures.
9. Performs all other responsibilities and duties as required by central processing department/surgical services to ensure that the unique nature of the department is addressed. Demonstrates dependability/flexibility in meeting the scheduling needs of the department. Demonstrates willingness to identify and/or assume new activities relative to the developmental needs of the department.
10. Participates in effective human resource management within the department to achieve and maintain quality services and positive employee relations. Assists Sterile Processing Manager with developing and conducting an in-service program based on employee needs. Adjusts daily work assignments to meet the demands of workflow. Communicates ideas for revisions of policies and procedures.
11. Demonstrates clear understanding of all sterilization processes measures. Cycles are checked and initialed for accurate time and temperature recordings. Cycles are accurately logged and initialed with contents of each load. Chemical indicators are included in every instrument set. Correctly loads and unloads and checks temperature of washer? sterilizers. Operates Steris sterilizer per procedure and logs all chemical and biological indicators. Operates ETO Sterilizer per procedure and logs all chemical and biological indicators.
12. Maintains work area, equipment and instruments in clean working condition as required by department standards. Work area is washed daily with disinfectant. Equipment is cleaned and disinfected according to manufacturer's instructions. Instruments are inspected for proper alignment, sharpness, and cleanliness before packaging. 13. Performs all related duties as assigned by Sterile Processing Manager or Lead Tech. 14. Displays and upholds CHH core values of dignity, compassion, service excellence, community and integrity. Consistently demonstrates caring for patients, for one another, and for the organization they are part of, and contributes to building trust, pride and camaraderie. JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL REQUIREMENTS, AND DESIRED ATTRIBUTES
Internal and external contact with all necessary parties. Handles multiple priorities, independent discretion/decision making, manages stress appropriately, works alone effectively, works in close proximity to others and/or in a distracting environment, works with others effectively. Attends all mandatory education programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety and regulatory compliance. Attends all required department-specific education and training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to department safety and specific job?related hazards. Follows the hospital exposure control plans/bloodborne and airborne pathogens. Attire is professional, neat, clean, and appropriate for the work environment. Wears proper identification while on duty. Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information at all times, as observed by peers and management. Reports to work on time and meets acceptable standard for attendance. Attends a minimum of two staff meetings, reads minutes for all staff meetings, and participates in committees as required. Knowledge of sterilization standards and procedures and C.S. related medical terminology. Ability to adequately use, or learn to use, the department s computerized system and it associated devices. Attends Connecticut Central Service Association (CCSA) on a regular basis.
Current central services certification by IAHCSMM or will be required to get certified within 18 months of their hire date. Central Service Certification Required. EXPERIENCE
Experience in central services department which includes, but is not limited to, knowledge of surgical instrumentation, case cart assembly and sterile technique preferred. Prefer basic knowledge of computers.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment .
RegularStandard Hours:40Schedule:Full-time (40 hours)Shift Details:Varied hours with weekend call
Associated topics: medical, medical laboratory science, microbiology, pathology, sterile processing technician, technician i, technician lab, technician laboratory, technologist, testing
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...