- Department of the Treasury
- $106,890.00 -113,690.00/year*
1103 Market St
The Office of Chief Counsel, IRS, the largest tax law firm in the country, is looking for enthusiastic individuals to join our team and gain valuable experience in a legal environment.
Learn more about this agency
Our mission is to serve America's taxpayers fairly and with integrity by providing correct and impartial interpretation of the internal revenue laws and the highest quality legal advice and representation for the Internal Revenue Service. It is a great place to work with an excellent benefits package and family-friendly atmosphere.
Because of its tax-related mission, the Office of Chief Counsel requires fingerprinting, tax verification, and a background security investigation as part of the pre-employment process.
The IRS Office of Chief Counsel's Summer Legal Program provides exposure to the Office by enabling law students to work under the supervision, and with the assistance of, experienced tax lawyers. The training and work experience provides developmental assignments and helps prepare law students for a career as a tax lawyer and gives them an excellent view of what the practice of law is like at the Office of Chief Counsel. In the National Office, law students typically take part in a variety of educational and social events. Offers of full-time employment with our Honors Program may be made to summer law students at the conclusion of the program. It is anticipated students will work for us the full summer. The target start date for this position is summer 2020. This program has been established in accordance with 5 CFR 213.3102(r).
Current law students who have completed at least one full year of legal study by the application deadline are eligible to apply (part-time law students must be currently attending law school and have completed the equivalent of one year of full-time study by the application deadline). Most applicants participate the summer between their second and third year of law school; however, graduating law students who enter a judicial clerkship or tax or accounting-related graduate program (including a Tax LL.M. program) may participate the summer following graduation prior to the start of the judicial clerkship or graduate program. If you are applying for, but have not yet accepted a judicial clerkship or been accepted into a tax or accounting-related graduate program, you should consider applying to both the Honors Program and Summer Legal Program. Applicants must be available to accept full-time post-JD employment by September 30, 2021 to be eligible.
We are currently recruiting for our Division Counsel (Small Business/Self Employed) in the following cities: Atlanta, GA; Austin, TX; Boston, MA; Chicago, IL; Cleveland, OH; Dallas, TX; Detroit, MI; Greensboro, NC; Houston, TX; Jacksonville, FL; Laguna Niguel, CA; Los Angeles, CA; Nashville, TN; New Orleans, LA; New York (Manhattan), NY; Newark, NJ; Oklahoma City, OK; Philadelphia, PA; Plantation (Ft. Lauderdale), FL; Phoenix, AZ; Richmond, VA; Sacramento, CA; Salt Lake City, UT; San Diego, CA; San Francisco, CA; Seattle, WA; Thousand Oaks, CA; Washington, DC; Westbury (Long Island), NY.
We are currently recruiting for our Division Counsel (Large Business & International) in the following cities: Atlanta, GA; Austin, TX; Boston, MA; Buffalo, NY; Chicago, IL; Cincinnati, OH; Cleveland, OH; Dallas, TX; Denver, CO; Detroit, MI; Greensboro, NC; Hartford, CT; Houston, TX; Jacksonville, FL; Laguna Niguel, CA; Los Angeles, CA; Miami, FL; Milwaukee, WI; New York (Manhattan), NY; Newark, NJ; Oklahoma City, OK; Philadelphia, PA; Phoenix, AZ; Plantation (Ft. Lauderdale), FL; Richmond, VA; San Diego, CA; San Francisco, CA; San Jose, CA; Seattle, WA; St. Paul, MN; Washington, DC; Westbury (Long Island), NY
We are currently recruiting for our Office of the Division Counsel/Associate Chief Counsel (Criminal Tax) in the following cities: Baltimore, MD; Indianapolis, IN; Los Angeles, CA; Newark, NJ; Philadelphia, PA; Richmond, VA; St. Louis, MO; Washington, DC
We are currently recruiting for our Office of the Division Counsel (Tax Exempt & Government Entities) in the following cities: Chicago, IL; Denver, CO; Los Angeles, CA; Thousand Oaks, CA
We are also recruiting for our National Office divisions in Washington, DC. Here is a link to a list of all our legal divisions:
This announcement has several cutoff dates, and applicants can be considered and selected after each deadline: July 31, September 3, and September 30.
Occasional travel - Limited travel may be required.
* Job family (Series)
0901 General Legal And Kindred Administration
Conditions of Employment
* Please refer to conditions of employment.
* Print preview to review the entire announcement before applying.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position, as failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a \"not qualified\" determination.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
Class Rank Requirement:
* JDs: Top 25% class rank or minimum GPA of 3.4 is required (if the school does not provide class rank or GPA at the time a selection is made, a minimum LSAT of 160 is required), or
* Tax LLMs (including JD/Tax LLMs) who have completed any Tax LLM coursework: must satisfy the JD class rank requirement above or have a minimum GPA of 3.3 in the Tax LLM program (if the Tax LLM program does not provide GPA, a minimum LSAT of 160 is required);
* Must attend an ABA accredited law school; and
* Must be a U.S. citizen.
Attributes of an Ideal Candidate:
* Special high-level recognition for academic excellence in law school, such as selection to Order of the Coif or receipt of the American Jurisprudence Award in related courses; or top grades in tax or related course work (e.g., \"A\" grades in tax courses);
* Evidence of background or experience in the position to be filled, such as taking relevant law school classes (e.g., tax law, bankruptcy/debtor creditor law, administrative law) or relevant legal or tax experience (e.g., tax legal experience) or relevant tax volunteer experience (e.g., VITA, Tax Clinic);
* Work or achievement in the law school's law review or other recognized law journal;
* Winning a moot court or mock trial competition or membership on a moot court or mock trial team
You must be enrolled in a J.D. and/or Tax LL.M. program or have graduated with a J.D. and/or a Tax LL.M. from an ABA-accredited law school.
Associated topics: attorney, compliance, compliance department, corporate attorney, counsel, court, lawyer, legal department, llp, market
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...