- Department of the Treasury
- $89,120.00 -138,780.00/year*
1103 Market St
WHAT IS THE SMALL BUSINESS/SELF-EMPLOYED (SBSE)DIVISION? The Small Business/Self-Employed (SB/SE) Division provides examinations and taxpayer education services for about 7 million small businesses and upwards of 33 million self-employed and supplemental income taxpayers.
See Other Information for Locations.
Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A TAX EXAMINING TECHNICIAN DO? As a Tax Examining Technician you will resolve inquiries regarding tax account issues such as tax delinquency, adjust taxpayer accounts and provide information about general Service procedures. In this role, you will analyze and take appropriate actions as identified in the specific position for which you are applying. Your assignments may include communicating with taxpayers and their representatives regarding their accounts on notices issued. If you are selected for a bi-lingual position you will communicate with taxpayers in Spanish as well as English.
As a Tax Examining Technician you will:
* Evaluate all available information and take corrective actions, such as credit transfers requests, re-computed tax, and/or penalty and interest.
* Access relevant systems to view and/or update taxpayers' accounts regarding payments received, review status of the case, and/or to make account adjustments.
* Enter data into automated system to adjust tax, penalty, and/or credit adjustments.
* Recognize indications of tax fraud; make determinations and use sound judgment concerning taxpayers' data and responses.
* Gain cooperation of taxpayers by explaining the best options available to resolve the problem or question, mutual interests, and to make sure they understand their responsibilities.
* Interpret the law as it relates to the issues and if affects the performance and efficiency of the Internal Revenue Service.
* Educate taxpayers on action(s) needed to achieve compliance with tax filing/liabilities.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
* Job family (Series)
0592 Tax Examining
Conditions of Employment
* Click \"Print Preview\" to review the entire announcement before applying.
* Please refer to \"Other Information.\"
* Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
* IRS Employees with Career or Career Conditional Appointments
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
GS-6 LEVEL: You must have one (1) year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-5 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: using an automated system to adjust tax, penalty, and interest; Recognized indications of tax fraud and abuse; Resolved problems, processed referrals, and/or worked with cases previously closed, bankruptcy, innocent spouse, employee cases, unpostables, restricted interest, and manual refunds; Performed phone duties; Proposed adjustments to income, deductions, payments and/or taxes and determined acceptability of the taxpayers' explanation.
* The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
* To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following, if applicable:
You must have been at the GS-5 level for 52 weeks (time-in-grade requirement).
Associated topics: analyst, analyze, business analytic, business finance, forecasting, guidance, investment banking, market, refine, regulation
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...