IRS Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE PATHWAYS PROGRAM? For additional information regarding the Pathways Program, please refer to: Students & Recent Graduates on USAJOBS.
See Other Information
Learn more about this agency
WHAT IS THE SMALL BUSINESS/SELF EMPLOYED DIVISION? The Small Business/Self-Employed (SB/SE) Division provides examinations and taxpayer education services for about 7 million small businesses and upwards of 33 millions self-employed and supplemental income taxpayers. SB/SE taxpayers generally have higher incomes than most taxpayers, need to file twice as many tax forms, and generally need to rely more on paid tax preparers and the taxpayer education outreach activities of the IRS.
WHAT DOES A TAX EXAMINING TECHNICIAN DO? The following are the duties of a Tax Examining Technician at the GS-07. You will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and will receive training to help you grow in this position. If selected, you will be placed in a position as a Tax Examining Technician GS 0592-5/6, Career Ladder 5/6/7 in the Small Business/Self Employed (SB/SE) Division. Following completion of Program requirements, selectees may be considered for non-competitive conversion to a permanent or term appointment with promotion potential to GS-07. Conversion to the competitive service is not implied or guaranteed.
As a Tax Examining Technician, you will:
* Responds to taxpayer's inquiries regarding preparation of a variety of tax returns, related schedules and other
documentation; resolves account inquiries; advises taxpayers of enforcement actions; manages sensitive case
problems designated as requiring special case handling.
* Analyzes and resolves tax processing problems. Adjusts taxpayer accounts, prepares and issues manual refunds,
Secures payment of delinquent taxes and filing of delinquent returns. Recommends lien and/or levy action,
includes initiating supporting information for release.
* May serve as a technical advisor, OJT coach, classroom instructor, or reviewer, and provide technical assistance
on systemic problems and inconsistencies in IRMs.
Performs other duties as assigned.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
* Job family (Series)
0592 Tax Examining
* Advisors, Income Tax * Income Tax Advisors
Conditions of Employment
* Refer to Other Information. * Click \"Print Preview\" to review the entire announcement before applying * Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: US Citizens/Nationals who are Recent Grads and have completed a degree or certificate from a qualifying education institution within the previous 2 years of this application date. Students who are within 9 months of graduating may apply.
Veterans (5 USC 2108) who due to military service, were unable to apply during the 2-yr period begin a new 2-yr eligibility period upon release from active duty. Veteran eligibility period may not extend beyond 6 yrs from completion of study. Federal experience is not required.
You must first meet Recent Graduate Program Eligibility to be considered for this position. You may then Qualify for the position based on education, experience or a combination of both. You must meet the following requirements prior to appointment/enter on duty date:
GS-5 LEVEL: You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-04 level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes experience that is related to the work of this position and has provided you with the competencies required for successful job performance. Examples of qualifying experience include experience performing a variety of miscellaneous tasks involving researching and processing financial documents, reviewing information and determining corrective action on accounts, researching for missing/unclear accounting information and reviewing financial documents submitted for completeness.
You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: A Bachelor's degree or 4 years of education above high school in any field of study from an accredited college or university.
You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Options for qualifying based on a combination will be identified in the online questions
GS-06 LEVEL: You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes experience that is related to the work of this position and has provided you with the competencies required for successful job performance. Examples of qualifying experience include positions dealing with the public analyzing tax or accounting issues. Experience must have included analyzing and resolving problems, adjusting accounts, and providing information on financial issues.
ALL GRADES: You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Options for qualifying based on a combination will be identified in the online questions. In addition to the above you must have, within the previous 2 years, completed all educational requirements for a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying institution; or intended graduation is no more than 9 months from date of application. For more information on education requirements go to Treasury's Pathways Program.
* Veterans who, due to a military service obligation, were precluded from applying to a Recent Graduates Program during any portion of the 2 year eligibility period may have their eligibility period extended so that they receive the full 2 years of eligibility. The remaining 2-year eligibility period will begin upon his or her release or discharge from active duty. The veteran's eligibility period may not extend beyond 6 years from the date of completion of all requirements of an academic course of study. * The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. * To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your r?sum?.
Associated topics: analyst, business analytic, business finance, business intelligence, business systems analyst, consult, government, monitor, refine, refinement
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.