The mission of IRS Information Technology is to provide leadership in the delivery of information technology solutions that anticipate and meet enterprise-wide needs by empowering employees to deliver customer-centered, value-creating systems, products, services, and support.
See Other Information for Locations.
Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES AN IT SPECIALIST GENERAL PROGRAMS DO? An Information Technology (IT) Specialist working general programs uses a wide variety of information, documentation, and regulations on the use of information technology resources, IRS data security guidelines, and IRS and Treasury guidance on acquisitions to address and/or adapt to specific problems or issues. As an IT Specialist, you will apply a series of different and unrelated processes and methods, decide what needs to be done based on analyses of the subjects and issues related to the assignment, and select the appropriate course of action from many acceptable alternatives. You will be challenged to independently identify and analyze important factors and conditions in order to recognize and apply an understanding of interrelationships among different IT functions and activities.
As an Information Technology Specialist (General Program) you will:
* Support implementation and maintenance of network and system services; monitor network and system performance; and troubleshoot problems as they arise. * Conduct integrated analysis of multiple audit logs (e.g. firewall, Web server). * Participate in design, development, acceptance testing, and implementation of software programs and/or computer equipment. Develop flow diagrams and/or pseudo-code. * Test and debug programs according to detailed requirements. Install, test, and configure network workstations and peripherals; and instruct customers in logging on and accessing network services. * Maintain database operations, assist in returning disrupted database systems to normal operations; and create reports and manipulate data in response to customer requirements. * Prepare and maintain documentation outlining equipment operations and preventative maintenance. * Analyze complete documentation on the up time and reliability of systems to provide necessary information for contract enforcement. * Provide advice and assistance concerning computer software and/or equipment specifications for the utilization and acquisition, resolve issues involving conflicting requirements. * Assist and/or lead local projects, prepare and present findings, or recommend action involving the analysis of complex problems related to equipment and/or software utilization and acquisition
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at ww.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - Travel 1 to 5 nights per month may be required.
* Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
* Computer Network Support Specialists * Computer Security Specialists * Computer Support Specialists * Information Technology Specialist (It Specialist) * Specialists, Computer Network Support * Specialists, Computer Security
Conditions of Employment
* Must be a U.S. Citizen or National * Please refer to \"Conditions of Employment\" * Click \"Print Preview\" to review the entire announcement before applying.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
Grade 14 Level: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. This experience must include Information Technology (IT) related experience that demonstrates each of the following four competencies: 1) Attention to Detail, 2) Customer Service, 3) Oral Communication and 4) Problem Solving. Specialized experience for this position includes: Demonstrated accomplishment of computer project assignments that required a wide range of knowledge of computer requirements and techniques pertinent to the position to be filled. This knowledge is generally demonstrated through assignments that required the ability to analyze a number of alternative approaches in the process of advising management concerning major aspects of IT system design. This would include defining what system interrelationships must be considered, or what operating mode, system software, and/or equipment configuration is most appropriate for a given project.
* The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-timework; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. * To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
Associated topics: equipment, infrastructure, ip, maintenance, network, satcom, server, system specialist, system technician, technician
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.