- Department Of Labor
- $88,990.00 -130,350.00/year*
1103 Market St
* THIS IS AN INTERDISCIPLINARY POSITION AND MAY BE FILLED EITHER AS AN ECONOMIST OR STATISTICIAN (ECONOMICS)*
This position is located in the US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Office of Field Operations, Philadelphia Region, Division of Price Programs. There is one position to be filled in any one of the following locations:
Mountainside, New Jersey
Learn more about this agency
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) is responsible for measuring labor market activity, working conditions, and price changes in the economy. Its mission is to collect, analyze, and disseminate essential economic information to support public and private decision making. As an independent statistical agency, BLS serves its diverse user communities by providing products and services that are accurate, objective, relevant, timely, and accessible. The Producer Price Index (PPI) measures the average change over time in the selling prices received by domestic producers for their output. The prices included in the PPI are from the first commercial transaction for many products and some services. The International Price Program (IPP) produces Import/Export Price Indexes (MXP) containing data on changes in the prices of nonmilitary goods and services traded between the U.S. and the rest of the world.
This position is inside the bargaining unit.
Additional vacancies may be filled using this announcement.
PCS/Relocation funds are not available.
If selected for this position, you will serve as a key technical expert for the Industrial Price programs in the Price Division, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Philadelphia Regional Office. The incumbent:
Applies and interprets conceptual, economic, statistical, analytical, interview, and data collection principles and practices in a wide range of unique and highly complex situations involving sensitive companies sampled for numerous Price surveys. The incumbent ensures that survey needs are met across the region consistent with statistical, economic, and procedural requirements by looking for structural improvement possibilities in program implementation in the region.
Collects data from complex and/or heavily-weighted companies sampled for multiple BLS price programs including the Producer Price Index Survey and the Import/Export Price Program, especially those deemed to be essential for meeting program publication goals. Takes the lead in the initiation of new or complex industries and rapidly changing product areas. Duties include: contacting companies that have previously refused in order to secure establishment and item level cooperation; assisting journey level Field Economists in developing refined marketing skills to improve their cooperation rates; serving as a regional expert on corporate affiliations and confidentiality issues that directly impact data collections; and providing on-the-job training for field staff on the collection of more complex industries. He/she will also develop outreach programs in conjunction with the Economic Analysis and Information unit (EA&I) and work on special projects and task forces having national impact.
75% or less - Travel is typically (but not exclusively) within the Philadelphia Region (PA/NJ/DE/MD/DC/VA/WV) and entails both day trips and overnight travel. Within the region, most travel is by automobile although rail or air may be appropriate at times.
13 - This position has no further promotion potential.
* Job family (Series)
* Mathematical Statisticians
* Statisticians, Mathematical
Conditions of Employment
* Must be at least 16 years old and a U.S. Citizen.
* Requires a valid drivers license.
* Requires a probationary period if the requirement has not been met.
* Candidate required to obtain the necessary security/investigation level.
Applicants must meet time-in-grade, time-after-competitive-appointment and qualifications requirements within 30 calendar days after the closing date of the vacancy to be eligible for consideration for selection.
Reference the \"Required Documents\" section for additional requirements.
THIS POSITION HAS AN INDIVIDUAL OCCUPATIONAL REQUIREMENT. ALL APPLICANTS MUST MEET THIS REQUIREMENT IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED.
Degree: economics, that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus.
Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Degree: that included 15 semester hours in statistics (or in mathematics and statistics, provided at least 6 semester hours were in statistics), and 9 additional semester hours in one or more of the following: physical or biological sciences, medicine, education, or engineering; or in the social sciences including demography, history, economics, social welfare, geography, international relations, social or cultural anthropology, health sociology, political science, public administration, psychology, etc.
* Credit toward meeting statistical course requirements should be given for courses in which 50 percent of the course content appears to be statistical methods, e.g., courses that included studies in research methods in psychology or economics such as tests and measurements or business cycles, or courses in methods of processing mass statistical data such as tabulating methods or electronic data processing.
Combination of Education and experience: courses as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
* The experience should have included a full range of professional statistical work such as (a) sampling, (b) collecting, computing, and analyzing statistical data, and (c) applying statistical techniques such as measurement of central tendency, dispersion, skewness, sampling error, simple and multiple correlation, analysis of variance, and tests of significance.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
IN ADDITION TO MEETING ONE OR BOTH OF THE INDIVIDUAL OCCUPATIONAL REQUIREMENT(S) candidates must possess one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least GS-12 level. This experience must have equipped the candidate with the knowledge and ability to perform fully the work of the position. Examples of specialized experience include:
* Extensive professional knowledge and background in economic and statistical theory to collect, analyze, and interpret information on price structures, relationships, and patterns from crucial economic sectors, and the economic trends of individual establishments, markets, and geographic areas;
* Expert knowledge of the Producer Price Index and the International Price Program including technical requirements, collection methodology, and the theoretical framework of the program and index construction in order to serve as a technical expert for the region;
* Experience with interviewing, interpersonal communication and negotiating techniques to maximize the level of participation from sophisticated and high level corporate or governmental officials;
* Applying techniques such as measurements of central tendencies, dispersion, skewedness, sampling error, simple and multiple correlation, analysis of variance, and tests of significance.
This position has an individual occupational requirement. A copy of complete college TRANSCRIPTS confirming the applicable degree has been AWARDED is required when applying. Failure to submit a copy of all college transcripts will result in your application being rated ineligible/incomplete.
Any applicant falsely claiming an academic degree from an accredited school will be subject to actions ranging from disqualification from federal employment to removal from federal service.
If your education was completed at a foreign college or university, you must show comparability to education received in accredited educational institutions in the United States and comparability to applicable minimum course work requirements for this position. Click Evaluation of Foreign Education for more information.
Associated topics: business, business analyst, capital, consultant, credit, market, estate, financial analyst, insurer, pricing
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...