- Department of Defense
- $68,400.00 -135,310.00/year*
1103 Market St
Help Duties Summary
You will serve as a GEOLOGIST in the DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY.
THIS IS AN EXPEDITED HIRING AUTHORITY ANNOUNCEMENT. The Duncan Hunter National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) FY 2009 provides that the Secretary of Defense can designate acquisition positions as shortage positions and recruit and appoint highly qualified persons to these positions.
Learn more about this agency
* Duties and responsibilities vary and increase according to grade level.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
* Job family (Series)
Help Requirements Conditions of Employment
* Must be a US Citizen.
* Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
* Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
* New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/.
* Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
* May be required to successfully complete a pre-appointment physical examination.
* You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
* This position is covered under the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) and requires additional education, training and experience. Positions may be in any DAWIA Career Field at Level I, II, or III.
* This position may be designated Critical Acquisition Position (CAP). You must be a member of the Acquisition Corps, become a member, or obtain a waiver at the time of selection and sign a three-year tenure agreement prior to assuming the position.
* Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (including marijuana) may be required. A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if you fail to report to the drug test appointment or pass the test. You will be subject to random testing.
* May be required to complete ethics orientation within three months of appointment and submit a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, OGE-450, within 30 days of appointment.
* Supervisors in the executive branch have a heightened personal responsibility for advancing government ethics. Those selected for a supervisory position will be required to review the 14 General Principles of Ethical Conduct at 5 CFR 2635.101.
* Position selected for may or may not be under a bargaining unit.
* Warrant authority above the small purchase threshold may be required.
In addition to the basic education requirements, applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications:
GS-07: Your resume must also demonstrate that you have successfully completed one full year of graduate level education OR you have successfully completed a bachelor's degree with superior academic achievement OR you have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-05 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector Performing field studies to gather geological samples and data; Assisting with geological studies and surveys; and Interpreting and analyzing results to determine the validity and scientific significance of the data OR you have a combination of education and experience that equates to one year of experience.
GS-09: Your resume must also demonstrate that you have successfully completed a master's or equivalent graduate degree OR have successfully completed two full years of progressively higher graduate level education leading to a master's degree OR you have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-07 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector Assisting in the performance of moderate sized geological projects; Performing standard geological processes; and handling various types of instruments and equipment used in geological projects OR you have a combination of education and experience that equates to one year of experience.
GS-11: Your resume must also demonstrate that you have successfully completed a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree OR you have successfully completed three full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent degree OR you have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-09 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector Applying established technology in routine ways to well-defined, moderate sized geological projects; Planning and carrying out routine geological work; and Organizing geological work by following prescribed methods and guidelines and recognizing conditions and results that may affect the findings OR you have a combination of education and experience that equates to one year of experience.
GS-12: Your resume must also demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-11 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector Planning and executing complex geological studies; Adapting geological methods to the problems at hand and interpreting findings in terms of their scientific significance; and Providing technical guidance and instructions on geological processes to lower graded professional or technical employees.
GS-13: Your resume must also demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-12 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector Planning, executing, and reporting on original geological studies or ongoing studies requiring a fresh approach to resolve new problems; Modifying and adapting standard geological procedures, methods, and techniques, and development of totally new methods and techniques to address problems for which guidelines or precedents are not substantially applicable; and Developing long-range geological plans, programs, and /or precedents to support organizational initiatives.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management website:
Individual Occupational Requirements link:
Applicants must meet the following basic education requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Standards Manual:
Degree: geology, plus 20 additional semester hours in any combination of mathematics, physics, chemistry, biological science, structural, chemical, civil, mining or petroleum engineering, computer science, planetary geology, comparative planetology, geophysics, meteorology, hydrology, oceanography, physical geography, marine geology, and cartography.
Combination of education and experience -- course work as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
FOR THE GS-07 (or equivalent pay band): Your resume must demonstrate that you have successfully completed 1 year of graduate-level education or superior academic achievement
FOR THE GS-09 (or equivalent pay band): Your resume must demonstrate that you have successfully completed 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree
FOR THE GS-11 (or equivalent pay band): Your resume must demonstrate that you have have successfully completed 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
NOTE: Education and experience may be combined for all grade levels for which both education and experience are acceptable.
Applications will be accepted from students who expect to complete qualifying education within 9 months from the date of application. If you expect to complete your education within 9 months, please respond to the questionnaire items as if you had already completed your education. We are required to verify that the education has been completed successfully before any applicant can be appointed (report to work).
Associated topics: earth, geochemist, geodynamic, geomechanics, geoscience, hydrogeologist, planet, planetary, planetary atmosphere, terrestrial
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...