Executive ChefAppalachian Mountain Club Location:Gorham, NHExperience:Some experience requiredStart Date:Job starts soon! (Aug 02, 2019)
The Appalachian Mountain Club has a long tradition of welcoming active people and families to join us for hearty, delicious meals served family-style in our lodges and huts. The Executive Chef is an integral, management-level position responsible for continuing the tradition of serving made-from-scratch, healthy foods to the overnight guests, day visitors and special event groups that visit our busy mountain lodge located in iconic Pinkham Notch.
In addition to menu creation and delivery of three meals daily, the Executive Chef leads the culinary staff, including hiring, training, supervision and scheduling. The successful candidate will arrive to work each day with energy, have the ability to make decisions and provide clear direction and possess a passion for interacting with our active guests and families.
This position primarily works in AMC's Pinkham Notch Visitor Center's open kitchen alongside the culinary and dining staff, ensuring that all meals served exceed the expectations of our guests and visitors, but also includes office time in order to plan menus, schedule staff, order food and supplies, submit invoices, etc.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Honor AMC s long-standing tradition of high-quality mountain meals while incorporating modern food trends and techniques that meet the needs of our diverse guests.
- Design seasonal, rotating menus that incorporate fresh, local and/or whole food ingredients when possible.
- Ability to offer and/or assist with varied dietary restrictions on a daily basis.
- Welcome and assist visitors and guests in a positive manner, responding to any problems or special requests with a professional demeanor.
- Ensure clean, appetizing presentation of all foods during breakfast, lunch and dinner service.
- Support and direct kitchen staff in the preparation of meals and cleaning duties for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as set-ups and breakdowns, utilizing on-site guidelines and resources.
- Cover cooking shifts when AM and PM cooks are unavailable.
- Hire, train and supervise the AM, PM and Prep Cooks while further developing the skills, passion, consistency and efficiency of all staff working in the kitchen.
- Responsible for maintaining inventory and ordering food and kitchen supplies on a weekly basis.
- Operate within monthly/annual budget parameters, implementing inventory that maximizes quality while respecting overall costs.
- Clean, sanitize, organize and inspect all areas maintained by the kitchen staff on a daily basis to exceed New Hampshire Board of Health standards.
- Organize and manage the recycling and composting programs as they relate to materials in the kitchen.
- Actively promote and provide up to date information on the services and programs of the AMC and encourage membership to support AMC s public service efforts.
- Collaborate regularly with other AMC kitchens and lodges to share best practices.
- Exceptional customer service skills and the ability to collaborate with other departments to provide positive guest and group experiences.
- Professional experience in preparing made-from-scratch, health-conscious meals that incorporate fresh, local and/or whole food ingredients when possible. A passion for food, including vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free choices.
- Familiarity with the AMC s mission and programs and the White Mountain National Forest is preferred. Passion for the outdoors is a plus!
- Ability to work variable hours including weekends, holidays and evenings.
- Physical abilities: Ability to stand, sit, walk and lift up to 60 pounds from waist to head height or from floor to waist high is required. Job is performed in a standard commercial kitchen with only occasional exposure to hazardous cleaning products.
To Apply: Now accepting applications! Please include your resume and a cover letter with your salary requirements when applying. No phone calls please.
The AMC has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!
Loading some great jobs for you...