The Senior Manager, Accounting Research & Policy, will serve as a technical accounting subject matter expert with respect to the company's generally accepted accounting policies. This position will have responsibility for helping to manage the processes and internal controls associated with the identification, documentation, communication and implementation of proposed and new accounting standards, and the accounting for complex financing, mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and other new and unusual transactions.
* Research and evaluate the accounting for new and proposed financing, M&A and other new and unusual transactions * Review documents and identify the accounting issues * Propose solutions or alternatives in resolving issues * Consult with business units and external auditors on technical accounting matters and the application and development of accounting policies * Document and communicate the accounting for the transactions (both technical and operational accounting considerations) * Assist in the preparation of financial reporting disclosures (MD&A and Footnotes) for completed transactions * Proactively identify/research proposed new accounting standards and guidance (i.e. FASB, EITF, SEC and PCAOB guidance) * Monitor standard setters activities including minutes of meetings, planned agendas and project plans * Develop interpretations and communications related to new accounting standards and guidance * Lead or partner with corporate groups or business units in the implementation of new standards * Liaise with outside auditors on new standards * Present and train our management and staff on new standards * Develop responses to standard setters' exposure drafts and other proposals * Assist in the preparation of financial reporting disclosures (MD&A and Footnotes) for new accounting standards
Other standard responsibilities associated with finance personnel at this level:
* Directs and oversees various Accounting functions including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and general ledger accounting and reporting. Directs financial planning process for budgeting, forecasting, and long-range strategies. * Generates and distributes monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting. Reviews and analyzes monthly financial statements and explains variances to budget, forecast, and prior year. * Directs and oversees periodic audits of key operational processes. * Ensures legal and regulatory compliance to GAAP and Sarbanes Oxley for all accounting functions and financial reporting. * Provides leadership and direction to the Finance & Accounting staff by setting goals, objectives, performance criteria, and departmental standards. * Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance. * Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary. * Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Employees at all levels are expect to:
* Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job * Own the customer experience-think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services * Know your stuff-be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences * Win as a team-make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas * Be an active part of the Net Promoter System-a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company-by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers * Drive results and growth * Respect and promote inclusion and diversity * Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities
Education Level: Bachelors Degree or Equivalent
Field of Study: Accounting, Finance
Certifications: Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Years Experience: Generally requires 10+ years related experience, preferably public accounting with one of the Big 4 firms
* Experience with performing complex accounting research and technical activities * Excellent oral and written skills communication skills. Ability to interact with various levels of finance and business personnel and ability to explain complex accounting in a succinct manner * Familiarity with SEC reporting * Strong organizational and analytical skills * Self-starter with ability to work on multiple concurrent tasks * Strong PC skills related to all Microsoft applications, especially Microsoft Excel
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.