Research Technician I for CAG Genotyping Core (Sanger)
Philadelphia, PA, US, 19104
ABRAMSON - Abramson Building Req ID: 26947
Employment Status: AF - Active - Regular - Full Time
We are looking for a Lab Technician I who will participate in planned research projects related to the Molecular Biology and Genomics within CAG lab. A successful applicant will have strong work ethic, work independently and be highly motivated, have effective problem solving/critical thinking skills. Ability to multi-task and effectively work in a team/ collaborative environment is essential. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and attention to detail and accuracy when carrying out experiments and presenting experimental results as well as in record keeping are also required.
The ideal candidate must be able to and willing to learn/perfect standard techniques as well as to:
1. Have proved experience in, DNA and RNA extraction and QC methods.
2. Have minimum or some previous experience to proper aseptic techniques involving molecular biology including PCR, qPCR, microarrays, sequencing and cloning.
3. Help maintain reagents stock inventories and other reagent/freezer inventories.
4. Carefully follow laboratory safety procedures and perform experiments in compliance with research safety standards.
5. Perform training and complete training documentation on standard operating procedures pertaining to job functions.
6. Have experience in general molecular biology and cell biology techniques (DNA and RNA QC, PCR and qPCR, Sanger Sequencing, Taqman qPCR, cell culture, primer design, cloning).
7. Prepares laboratory reagents and maintenance of inventory.
8. Performs routine calculations and maintains appropriate log books and lab notebooks.
9. Assists in writing methods and setting-up protocols accurately under the direction of the principal investigator or other senior laboratory staff.
10. Performs research procedures on experimental samples as directed.
11. Maintains laboratory equipment, records, safety procedures and compliance records.
12. Mandatory knowledge in excel.
* B.A/B.S with significant biological/physical science coursework preferred. Experience with techniques in molecular biology, cell biology, or biochemistry is desirable. Medical Technologists are also encouraged to apply. * Value for research integrity and collaborative research * Strong people skills and good communication skills * Great organizational and time management skills * Effective problem solving/critical thinking skills * Requires thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and experience with Excel software is mandatory. * Experience in a Clinical environment lab (CLIA, CAP) and general molecular biology lab. * Flexible working hours (day shift).
* Performs routine tests under the direction of principal investigator or supervisor * Performs research procedures on experimental samples as directed * Records and checks results for completeness and accuracy * Performs calculations and maintains appropriate log and lab notebooks * Performs tasks that may require familiarity with fundamental techniques and equipment * Assists with planning specific research protocols and procedures * Assists in care & maintenance of equipment including sterilize & clean glassware and dispose of specimens, media and other materials (using appropriate procedures) * Attends courses, seminars, and lab meetings to expand knowledge of research and laboratory techniques * Maintains a log of work performed, compiles and helps analyze data, prepares charts, graphs, and results of studies; Compiles information from lab notebooks and Journals * Conducts literary searches as directed
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Associates Degree or active enrollment in a Bachelor's Degree Program
Required Experience: Related classroom or laboratory experience
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146
CHOP EMPLOYEE? SEARCH FOR JOBS HERE.
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Medical, Technician, Medical Research, Clinical Research, Healthcare, Technology, Research