Employment Status: AF - Active - Regular - Full Time
RNA genomics lab at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and the University of Pennsylvania is seeking to appoint an experienced research assistant. The appointee will assist in running a busy experimental laboratory and will have specific responsibilities, amongst other duties, for a large number of cell line cultures and RNA extraction. The appointee will also conduct other routine molecular biology experiments, and will contribute to the development and application of new genomic/transcriptomic sequencing methodologies.
The Lin laboratory studies RNA modifications (a.k.a \"epitranscriptomics\") in human diseases including cancer. Post-transcriptional RNA processing and modifications are important mechanisms for gene regulation and functional diversity in eukaryotic cells. We develop and apply high-throughput sequencing strategies and transcriptome engineering technologies to study the regulation and function of RNA modifications including A-to-I RNA editing and m6A RNA methylation.
The ideal candidate will
* Assist in running a busy experimental laboratory, including maintaining a large number of mammalian cell cultures, carrying out molecular assays, keep clear experimental record according to specific format.
* Communicate complex ideas and concepts to those with limited knowledge and understanding as well as to peers.
* Mentor and coach colleagues with less experience
* Undergraduate degree in biology, biotechnology or a related discipline, at a leading academic institution.
* Specific research expertise in one or more of the following topics is preferred: RNA biology, molecular biology, genomics, cancer biology, next-gen sequencing.
* Experience working with RNA, mammalian cell culture, molecular cloning.
Please send CV and cover letter to Dr. Lan Lin (...@email.chop.edu)
* Independently performs advanced, complex research procedures on experimental samples
* Formulates and performs lab experiments, analyzes results, interpretation of methodology & reports the data and maintains appropriate log books and lab notebook
* Modifies methods and protocols as required with minimum direction form the Investigator / Sr. Scientist
* Assists in development & troubleshooting of new techniques and ideas
* Prepares laboratory reagents, monitors and maintains laboratory inventory
* Supervises, trains and mentors Jr. and new staff members
* Determines work assignments, schedules and laboratory priorities
* Presents & discusses work at weekly lab meetings and national symposia
* Assists in writing of grants, journal articles, poster and oral presentations
Prior experience as a lead technician or supervisor preferred
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146
CHOP EMPLOYEE? SEARCH FOR JOBS HERE.
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Pathology, Medical, Patient Care, Research Assistant, Healthcare, Research
Associated topics: drug development, drug discovery, food, healthcare, histologist, immuno oncology, immunoassay, immunohematology, pharmacology, physiology
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.