Employment Status: AF - Active - Regular - Full Time
The Center for Applied Genomics (CAG) biorepository is seeking a full-time research technician.
The mission of the Center for Applied Genomics (CAG) is to develop new and better ways to diagnose and treat children affected by rare and complex medical disorders. The CAG is a specialized Center of Emphasis at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia with the primary goal of translating basic research findings to medical innovations.
We aim to discover genetic causes for the most prevalent diseases of childhood including ADHD, asthma, autism, diabetes, epilepsy, obesity, schizophrenia, pediatric cancer, and a range of rare diseases. Ultimately, our objective is to generate new diagnostic tests and to guide physicians to the most appropriate therapies.
The CAG is one of the world's largest genetics research programs, and the only center at a pediatric hospital to have large-scale access to state-of-the-art high-throughput genomics technology.
The desired candidate will have a Bachelors in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or related field. The candidate should be comfortable with and familiar with general laboratory maintenance, including pipetting, working with human samples. The ideal candidate will be familiar with the fundamentals of bio banking, will work independently and be responsible for primary sample reception and trajectories of blood samples with established research protocols.
Our technician may be responsible for the following:
* Isolation of PBMC's from research blood collections.
* Aliquoting of Plasma and Human blood for long term storage.
* Preparation of samples for DNA and RNA isolation.
* The organization and database management of Liquid N2 storage systems and -80oC freezers for sample storage and retrieval.
* Preparation of necessary reagents and Tissue culture meida.
* Performs sample verification, labeling, accession, and data entry utilizing the laboratory information management system.
* Perform quantification of DNA and RNA samples.
* Participation in Project Team Meetings and provides periodic updates on sample processing and status of projects.
Performs routine tests under the direction of principal investigator or supervisor
Performs research procedures on experimental samples as directed
Maintain documentation and records according to regulatory requirements
Records and checks results for completeness and accuracy
Performs calculations and maintains appropriate log books and lab notebooks
Performs tasks that may require familiarity with fundamental techniques and equipment
Assists with planning specific research protocols and procedures
May sterilize & clean glassware and dispose of specimens, media and other materials (using appropriate procedures)
Assists in care & maintenance of equipment
Compiles information from lab notebooks and Journals
Attends courses, seminars, and lab meetings to expand knowledge of research and laboratory techniques
Trains and mentors new staff as needed
Preparation of laboratory reagents and monitors and maintains inventory.
Assists in the development and troubleshooting of new and existing techniques and protocols.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Excellent time-management skills and prioritization.
Ability to organize and present information in a clear and understandable manner.
* Performs routine tests under the direction of principal investigator or supervisor
* Performs research procedures on experimental samples as directed
* Records and checks results for completeness and accuracy
* Performs calculations and maintains appropriate log and lab notebooks
* Performs tasks that may require familiarity with fundamental techniques and equipment
* Assists with planning specific research protocols and procedures
* Assists in care & maintenance of equipment including sterilize & clean glassware and dispose of specimens, media and other materials (using appropriate procedures)
* Attends courses, seminars, and lab meetings to expand knowledge of research and laboratory techniques
* Maintains a log of work performed, compiles and helps analyze data, prepares charts, graphs, and results of studies; Compiles information from lab notebooks and Journals
* Conducts literary searches as directed
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Associates Degree or active enrollment in a Bachelor's Degree Program
Required Experience: Related classroom or laboratory experience
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Additional Technical Requirements
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146
CHOP EMPLOYEE? SEARCH FOR JOBS HERE.
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Medical, Special Medicine, Patient Care, Diabetes, Healthcare, Research