Pediatric Oncology and Stem Cell Transplant Hospital Physician
Philadelphia, PA, US, 19104
Req ID: 25592
Employment Status: AF - Active - Regular - Full Time
Under the supervision of a sub-specialty attending physician, a Hospital-Physician is a board-certified or board-eligible pediatrician who evaluates, treats, manages inpatient care, documents medical findings in EPIC, provides support to patients, families and colleagues, collaborates with administration and nursing staff. Will see patients from birth to 21 years old. Will diagnose and treat various conditions. Responsible for the direct care and follow-up in a defined inpatient and hospital-outpatient areas. Order labs, testing, as appropriate. Maintains working knowledge of electronic medical record. The role will also include off-shift responsibility that may include days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays as determined by the clinical needs of the practice environment. Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, local, legal, regulatory and clinical standards and requirements including (but not limited to): HIPAA, OSHA, Joint Commission, DOH and CLIA. May represent CHOP with external organizations, professional associations upon request.
The Division of Oncology at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is currently seeking full-time hospital physicians (formerly known as hospitalists) to join our team.
Oncology hospital physicians act as front-line clinicians under the guidance of an oncology attending physician. They care for patients with a wide range of disease processes and acuity levels being treated on CHOP's inpatient general oncology and bone marrow transplant units, both part of CHOP's internationally recognized Cancer Center. Our pediatric oncologists and support teams have expertise in
* Diagnosis and treatment of every type of pediatric cancer
* Care of children undergoing stem cell transplant, gene therapy and immunotherapy for a wide array of malignant and non-malignant diseases
Oncology hospital physicians with pediatric hematology/oncology fellowship training may also provide coverage for children in our outpatient oncology clinic.
This is an opportunity to pursue a career in a state-of-the-art facility within an academic environment. There is opportunity for growth, teaching residents, involvement in divisional conferences, quality improvement initiatives, and research.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including expenses for continuing medical education (CME).
To learn more, please forward your CV and interest to:
Jason Freedman, MD, MSCE
Inpatient Medical Director,
Of note: This job title may be used interchangeably with the title \"House Physician\" in other documents throughout the enterprise.
Direct Clinical Activities
* Provide direct patient care in an inpatient setting, working under the supervision of a sub-specialty attending physician.
* Assess the complex acute, critical and chronically ill patient for urgent and emergent conditions. Uses relevant data to evaluate for physiologic instability. Utilizes the data to formulate a plan of care in conjunction with the supervising sub-specialty attending physician.
* May supervise clinical providers including resident physicians and nurse practitioners and provide performance feedback in all aspects of clinical functions.
* Supervise and ensure high quality of all clinical care services provided in the Hospital.
* Continually review current pediatric standards of care and work with leadership team to implement new processes as needed. Respond to clinical alerts and updates from public health officials and others.
* Performs therapeutic interventions to stabilize acute and critical health problems. Specific interventions are listed in the Delineation of Privileges Document and approved as a part of the credentialing/privileging process.
* Demonstrates a commitment to patient safety by speaking up about safety issues and changing practice to enhance safety. Shares errors or potential errors through system reporting mechanisms. Demonstrates shared accountability for safe practice.
* Analyzes the indications, contraindications, risk of complications and cost-benefits of therapeutic interventions.
Manages the plan of care through evaluation, modification and documentation according to the patient's response to therapy. Manages changes in condition with a focus on optimizing the patient outcomes.
* Incorporates health promotion, health protection and injury prevention measures into the plan of care within the context of the complex acute, critical and chronic illness.
Facilitates the patient's transitions between and within health care settings.
Serves as an educational resource to the patient/family, nursing staff, and provider team. Acts as a consultant to multidisciplinary health care team members.
Educational and Professional Development Activities (as indicated)
* Participates in own professional development by maintaining required competencies, identifying learning needs and seeking appropriate educational offerings.
* Participates in the professional development of others. Acts as a preceptor and mentor to support the development of nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, students, and other health care providers.
* May provide support and leadership for resident/medical student education curriculum and program implementation.
* May participate in scholarly activities including research and education as applicable.
Administrative Activities (as indicated)
* May assist with administrative management of the inpatient setting.
* Evaluate and effectively manage patient access, patient flow, quality improvement, staff performance, effective work teams.
* Participate in the development and implementation of departmental standards, policies, guidelines and protocols.
Other Duties As Assigned.
Division-specific privileges as prescribed by the Division in accordance with the Medical Staff Bylaws.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Active medical license in Pennsylvania as well as other states in which s/he is expected to practice.
Current DEA License
Board Certified (or Board Eligible) in Pediatrics. Board Certification is set in compliance with Department / Division and Medical Staff Bylaws (either immediately or within a prescribed timeframe from date of appointment to the Medical Staff).
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Graduate of an LCME, AOA, or WFME accredited Medical School and ACGME accredited Pediatric Residency Program. Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO).
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Additional Technical Requirements
* Working knowledge of hospital policies, practices and protocols as well as applicable regulations and guidelines. Knowledge of computer systems and applications.
* Skills in exercising initiative, judgment, problem solving, decision-making.
* Skill in developing and maintaining effective relationships with medical and administrative staff, patients and the public.
* Ability to research and prepare comprehensive reports.
* Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, and electronic).
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.