Employment Status: AF - Active - Regular - Full Time
Under the direction of the Director of Respiratory Care directs the daily operations of the Respiratory Care Department. Primary responsibilities include personnel management and related issues up to and including recruiting, staff resource management, and compensation. Assists in short and long term planning processes for the department. Represents the department at multidisciplinary meetings. Routine decisions include identifying administrative and operations problems to provide resolution, delegating appropriate duties and work assignments, and managing the departmental resources. In collaboration with the Director of Respiratory Care and the Medical Director, will formally be responsible in establishing policies and procedures affecting the personnel management and clinical practices.
Practice-Creates and maintains cost effective systems to ensure the availability of adequate staff for the department.
* Assumes 24 hour accountability for staff compliance with systems that promote quality patient/family centered care that is: equitable, timely, effective, efficient and safe * Identifies optimal patterns of staffing to meet patient care needs. * Ensures schedule is prepared in a timely manner to meet needs of employees as well as staffing standards. * Develop systems for daily staffing adjustment. * Collaborates with other departments to ensure staffing needs across departments are appropriate. * Ensures staff participation in departmental council structure. * Partners with Respiratory Leadership and Respiratory Recruitment to recruit staff
Professionalism/Leadership-Assures establishment of professional practice standards.
* Appoints staff representatives to department clinical practice committees. * Assists staff with development of effective systems to disseminate practice standards. * Supervises clinical practice of staff through rounds, assessment of documentation and feedback from other departments/families. * Ensures staff participates in educational and clinical development programs to meet specific requirements of patient population served. * Creates an environment that is blame free, a spirit of appreciative inquiry flourishes and thinking outside the box and taking risks is a system property. Promotes team building and colleague development. * Promotes team building and colleague development * Promotes/contributes to practice at local, regional and national levels. * Presents at regional and national conferences. Writes for publications.
Research-Ensures patient care provided by the department staff is consistent with national standards and/or evidence-based practice.
* Research based clinical, educational and management practice is evident across the departments * Assures evidence-based data and research are used for care practices * Foster and environment which nursing research thrives. * Benchmarks internal and external best practices to improve patient care. * Assures existence of systems to disseminate evidence based practice standards within department. * Establishes and maintains systems to monitor key clinical practice and performance standards within department. * Identifies at least one active quality improvement initiative per year and translates to measurable timely outcome.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Learning Orientation-Embodies enrichment through professional development, examines successes and failures to improve performance, and maintains a blame free (psychologically safe) environment.
* Works collaboratively with other departments to bring the best team approach to addressing challenging issues. * Ensures department staff is educated about and comply with hospital wide patient safety initiatives. * Effectively coaches and mentors staff. * Meets with direct reports on regular basis and provides them with activities that build on strengths and are opportunities for growth. * Seeks others as resources and explores all aspects of an issue using self-reflection when challenged with a difficult issue. * Acts to promote friendly climate, good morale, and cooperation with a team and across the organization.
Resource Management-Oversees the utilization of financial resources while maintaining quality patient care.
* Works with the Operations Manager to assure the department budget is on target or improved upon if necessary. * Maintains staffing within allocated cost per statistic. * Maintains department/program costs within fiscal budget allocations. * Implements, supports human resource, and financial initiatives that are part of institutional annual goals. * Develops creative alternatives to staffing problems while preserving/enhancing quality and is sensitive to cost. * Forecasts staffing needs based on staff turnover data and works collaboratively with recruitment to promote activities for recruitment and retention. * Oversees inventory and ordering of all supplies for the department. * Maintains standards for equipment cleaning and sterilization.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
PA Respiratory Therapy License
Current Basic Life Support certification issued through on organization that requires a hands-on instructor lead psychomotor skills verification (ex. American Heart Association or Red Cross)
Required Education: Bachelor's Degree. Current enrollment in graduate program.
Required Experience: Five (5) years' experience in the field of respiratory care. Three (3) years prior management or leadership experience. Two (2) years of pediatric experience.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: Master's Degree
Preferred Experience: Five (5) years prior management or leadership experience. Five (5) years of pediatric experience.
Additional Technical Requirements
* Basic Use of MS Word 2016 * Creation of meeting minutes, creation of charts and tables * Saving and naming of new and established files * Basic Use of MS PowerPoint 2016 * Creation of an education presentation using clip art * Basic Use of MS Excel 2016 * Creation of a simple spreadsheet and use of symbols * Navigation and basic search functions of the Internet using Internet Explorer * Use of Outlook 2016 email, opening of attachments, attaching new files to emails and saving attached files to computer * Use of shared network file space * Basic use of computers, printers, monitors, patient care devices, and Fax machines
* Use of Internet and Intranet to look up basic electronic resources for practice * Ability to find and navigate various department websites and related CHOP linked resource sites * Ability to perform a literature search on the Internet and ability to find professional journal and/or research based articles * Ability to evaluate Internet sites for reliability
Information Management Literacy
* Navigation of electronic health information records and ability to review specific patient data in a clinical information system * Understanding of policies and procedures around timeliness of care, use of a clinical information system and support of safe medical practice * Utilize applicable clinical pathways * Ability to collect raw clinical data using quality tools * Ability to discuss, evaluate and analyze outcome data presented in charts and tables * Discuss the responsibilities of each user of an electronic record related to confidentiality and privacy * Coordination of patient care information in a fragmented environment where there is partially online and partially paper references
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146
CHOP EMPLOYEE? SEARCH FOR JOBS HERE.
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Medical, Respiratory, Patient Care, Pediatric, Healthcare, Research
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.