- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- $137,680.00 -83,170.00/year*
1103 Market St
CHOP EMPLOYEE? SEARCH FOR JOBS HERE.
Medical Secretary II
Philadelphia, PA, US, 19104
MAIN - Main Hospital Req ID: 27043
Employment Status: AF - Active - Regular - Full Time
Under the direction of the Program Manager, performs advanced secretarial, clerical and administrative services for the program, and supporting the interdisciplinary team.
* Manages incoming telephone calls for multiple providers and other staff members by answering and routing calls appropriately, taking messages accurately, and providing routine information to callers promptly and courteously. Discerns urgent calls and acts on them appropriately.
* Answers 90% of telephone calls within three (3) rings.
* Records accurately and thoroughly all telephone messages, detailing the caller's name, caller's telephone number, and reason for call.
* Keeps up to date on all providers' schedules with the awareness of when to route the calls directly to the provider and when to take messages.
* Places telephone messages immediately in the designated telephone slots or areas.
* For patient calls, collects accurate and detailed information and updates patient chart when necessary.
* Provide back-up to answer other phone lines as needed.
* Type letters, medical reports, and memoranda, and related materials as requested according to department and hospital procedures. Word processed materials include clinical dictation, correspondence, grants, grant reports and tables, protocols/reviews, outlines and slides for lectures, parent education material and other correspondence and forms as needed.
* Compose written correspondence according to instructional guideline or departmental and hospital policies.
* Edit and proofread written correspondence, offering suggestions and making changes where appropriate.
* Maintains clinical data base capturing demographic and clinical information on all patients. Assists to develop statistical reports from data base for periodic grant or management reports.
* Organizes and maintains clinic medical records.
* Prepares outpatient chart for new patients.
* Assures patient charts are ready and up to date for patient appointment. Organizes patient chart to include all necessary information.
* Completes demographic information on flow sheet in chart.
* Copies and files appointment letters on chart.
* Requests x-ray or lab reports prior to clinic and assures that they are available in the chart.
* Performs routine chart analysis in order to make certain charts are in compliance with standards.
* Makes certain charts are filed after patient appointment.
* Closes chart on inactive patients after all reports and other appropriate information is filed in the chart.
* Delivers closed charts to HIM dept. as soon as services are completed and information is filed.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
* Performs clinic coordination to assure intakes are handled and patients are scheduled to be seen promptly.
* Responds to parent and/or referrer's request for program evaluation. Obtain information and input into database for review and disposition by Program Manager and Medical Director.
* Schedules appointments and Adaptive Equipment Clinics (initial and follow-up) per recommendations of manager or clinic team.
* Sends appointment letters if lead time permits.
* Assist parents/guardians with obtaining referrals/ prior authorizations needed for visit. Contacts primary care physician or insurance company, if necessary.
* Provides clinic schedule to team members one week in advance of clinic.
* Attempts to fill vacancies in schedule to assure optimal use of team's time.
* Schedules specialist and/or ancillary appointments as directed by providers.
* Confirms vendors for Adaptive Equipment Clinic and assists with follow-up of ordered equipment.
* Track \"no-show\" and cancellation information.
* Obtains reports and/or information from specialists and/or other health care institutions.
* Assists clinic team to process charge slips for hospital and physician practices.
* Open and route incoming mail and distribute correspondence and other materials to department staff.
* Distributes mail and correspondences per established quidelines 100% of the time.
* If applicable distribute laboratory results and letters regarding patients to providers within one hour of receipt.
* If necessary obtain patient chart to go with the patient care related correspondence.
* Ensures all outgoing mail is picked up daily.
* Sends outgoing and receives incoming faxed documents for providers. Distributes incoming fax correspondence(s) and confirmation statements to the appropriate staff within one hour or less depending on urgency, 100% of the time.
* Maintains office supply for providers.
* Processes purchase orders. Informs any delays to requestor as soon as it becomes known. Stocks supplies in an organized manner as deliveries are made.
* Tracks supply inventory levels.
* Schedules and coordinates meetings and facilities which may include travel and lodging arrangements.
* Schedules all meetings within three (3) days of request 90% of the time.
* Assure all meetings have the appropriate meeting room, facilities, dietary needs and equipment.
* Schedule all necessary travel and lodging arrangements according to the meeting or conference request in accordance with hospital travel policies.
* Receive requests for appointments ? schedule as needed, using judgment.
* Notify and remind participants of meeting.
* Keep track of upcoming trips; time away, service responsibilities, etc.
* Submit and follow-up on requests for facilities, housekeeping, communications, information systems, catering and conference room scheduling.
* Assist with submission of research grants, as requested.
* Other duties as assigned.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Required Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Business school with a minimum of five (5) years experience in a medical setting.
Additional Technical Requirements
* Excellent organizational skills.
* Ability to independently follow through with all assignments with minimal explanation and supervision.
* Ability to prioritize work and meet expectations for all responsibilities in an efficient manner.
* Familiarity with medical terminology and procedures.
* Excellent interpersonal skills in order to deal effectively with patients and staff.
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146
CHOP EMPLOYEE? SEARCH FOR JOBS HERE.
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Medical, Secretary, Housekeeping, Clerical, Information Systems, Healthcare, Administrative, Technology
Associated topics: bilingual, care, care physician, hospitalist, nocturnist, outpatient, physician, primary, primary care, urgent
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...