Employment Status: AF - Active - Regular - Full Time
Responsible for managing all aspects of several, concurrent capital projects of medium and small size of minor to moderate complexity from inception through occupancy. He/she makes minor decisions and recommendations that have direct impact in achieving CHOP project goals and established objectives. Negotiates minor issues with CHOP clients, Consultants, project team members and other project support team members. Project Managers at this level demonstrate a small degree of creativity, foresight, and mature judgement in reviewing, supervising and guiding several medium and small size projects to achieve CHOP project objectives. Project goals are achieved within stipulated budget and established schedule.
* Supervises and coordinates the design, construction, and occupancy phases of several, concurrent medium and small size projects of minor to moderate complexity to meet CHOP project goals and objectives. * Consistently meets the following CHOP objectives: * Ensures that projects are completed at or under budget. * Ensures that projects meet or exceed established standards of quality. * Ensures that projects are completed on or ahead of schedule. * Provides for effective and timely project communications between all parties on a regular basis. * Provides effective integration of diverse and conflicting views for the successful development, coordination and implementation of projects. * Represents the Hospital to outside agencies.
* Performs most assignments with instructions as to the general results expected. Receives technical guidance on unusual or complex problems and supervisory approval on proposed plans for projects. * Works within established project specific objectives. * Renders decisions on problems and methods of approach within specific project structure. * Resolves minor to moderate design issues and project scope conflicts. * Exercises initiative, good judgement and diplomacy in resolving project conflicts. * Refers more complex and sensitive issues to supervisors for direction and assistance for resolution.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
* Develops cost estimates/budgets and tracks project costs for medium and small size projects with a few complex components. * Develops overall detailed total project budgets for medium and small size projects with a few complex elements including costs for construction, design fees, furniture and equipment, I.S., Communications infrastructure costs, and all other miscellaneous costs. * Routinely monitors and tracks project expenditures for conformance to approved budget. Logs Purchase Orders against established project F&E budgets for this purpose. * Reviews applications for payment as submitted by Construction Managers and General Contractors for appropriate back-up documentation, amount being applied for vs. percentage of project construction completed to date, etc. * Controls assigned project budgets by requesting budget information from other department managers for review and tracking project costs, Construction Manager's reserve, and Owner's reserve for current status. * Reviews requests for changes, modifications, and additions to project. Assesses requests against project budget/expenditures and takes appropriate action on time critical requests advising supervisor of all changes, decisions made, etc. * Reviews change orders for validity, appropriate back-up and justification.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
* Responsible for managing the design phase of the project, monitoring and coordinating the activities of Architectural and Engineering Consultants on assigned projects. * Manages the A/E throughout the design phase of the project to ensure that all requirements of the RFP are fulfilled and project design objectives are met. * Reviews documentation prepared by outside consultants for conformance to CHOP standards of design/construction and Code compliance. * Checks A/E plans and specifications for adequate documentation, clarity, constructability to avoid future Cost Events/Change Orders. * Insists that the A/E consultants perform field surveys of existing project specific site conditions to avoid later discovery in the field during the construction phase. * Facilitates in providing information to the A/E and the project team concerning CHOP project design and construction standards, existing conditions, and any available \"As-Built\" information. * Ensures that projects meet all program requirements: Balances user needs against overall project objectives. * Seeks to gain a working knowledge of codes to ensure that all projects in design meet or exceed the latest code requirements for healthcare facilities (NFPA, AIA Guidelines, etc.) as enforced by the local Authorities having jurisdiction.
* Responsible for managing the construction phase of the project, monitoring and coordinating the activities of Construction Managers, General Contractors, and Sub-Contractors on assigned projects. * Routinely walks active construction areas monitoring construction activity for conformance to project objectives, design specifications, and CHOP standards. * Reports variances and initiates corrective action. * Seeks to gain a working knowledge of codes to ensure that all projects in construction meet or exceed the latest code requirements for healthcare facilities. * Maintains clean, safe work sites and ensures surrounding Hospital areas are kept clean, paths of egress are kept clear, and construction and renovation projects do not detract or deter other Hospital departments and staff members from performing their respective duties. * Takes immediate action to resolve discrepancies and issues of concern and reports them to the Interim Life Safety (ILS) Committee, Security, and other departments as necessary to ensure there is no repeat of the incident. Active member of ILS Committee
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
* Responsible for preparing and managing the overall project schedule. * Prepares and distributes to all project team members, the overall project schedule indicating all project milestones, completion dates, occupancy date, etc. and solicits input from various project team members in preparation of same. * Responsible for identifying and executing project phasing to minimize disruption to Hospital operation. * Allows adequate time for other project team member departments to prepare their own timely communications to affected CHOP departments and to work the project requirements into their own department's scheduled manpower allocations. * Coordinates project implementation and project impacts with all affected departments by providing effective, clear, concise, and timely communication between all involved parties on a regular basis. * Schedules all utility interruptions to minimize disruption to CHOP operations and provides timely communications thereof to allow affected departments adequate time to prepare for utility interruption. * Routinely walks project construction areas monitoring job status/progress, manpower allocation, and established project milestones are achieved to ensure that targeted completion dates are met. Initiates corrective action as required to meet project objectives.
* Responsible for managing several, concurrent in-house projects of minor scope and size. * Prepares in-house studies, designs, and cost estimates for projects of moderate size and scope. * Manages the scheduling and construction of in-house design projects. * Applies learned architectural/engineering principles and applicable codes in designing in-house projects. * Analyzes facility planning and programming information including occupancy, square footage, and impacts of proposed changes.
Direction of Others:
* Coordinates and communicates the overall project objectives to the project team. * Oversees the work of Outside Architectural and Engineering Consultants throughout project planning, design, and construction phases. * Schedules project team manpower and assignments to meet milestones, deadlines, and completion dates. * Knowledge of other department time sensitive issues and builds adequate time into project schedule to allow for them. * Supervises the work of the Construction Manager and other contractors. Applies pressure as necessary to ensure projects are completed on or ahead of schedule.
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Required Education and Experience
* Required Education: Bachelors
Required Experience: One (1) year of experience in the design / management of Healthcare or similar renovation / construction projects of small size.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: Degrees in in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil Engineering or Architecture.
Preferred Experience: Two (2) or more years' experience in the design / management of Healthcare or similar renovation / construction projects of small size.
Additional Technical Requirements
* Demonstrates excellent verbal, written and communication skills. * Exhibits ability to achieve project objectives on multiple, complex projects running simultaneously. * Working knowledge of building codes/standards and the application thereof.
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146
CHOP EMPLOYEE? SEARCH FOR JOBS HERE.
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Medical, Patient Care, Project Manager, Healthcare, Technology
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.