Employment Status: AF - Active - Regular - Full Time
Provides clinical nutrition services to inpatients and/or outpatients, including: assessment of individual nutritional status, evaluation and recommendation of appropriate dietary interventions to improve nutritional status, and education of patients and parents as indicated. Dietary interventions include oral diets, tube-feedings and intravenous feedings. Provides education and consultation for hospital staff, including nurses, physicians, and other hospital personnel, students of various disciplines, parent groups and professional organizations.
All candidates who apply will be reviewed. There are multiple positions available and we will determine level of clinical dietitian based on experience. Clinical Dietitian Levels I, II or III.
Patient Care (55%)
* Completes initial and follow-up nutrition assessments of pediatric patients, performs nutrition diagnosis, develops and implements individualized nutritional care plans per standards of care and documents results appropriately. * Responds to consults from the medical/surgical staff within 24 hours. * Attends and participates in appropriate service rounds, unit rounds and patient management conferences. * Provides formula room/dietary personnel with instructions for preparation of any special nutritional formulations. * Performs daily operational tasks, including review of diet, TPN and NPO lists and completing calorie counts. * Works cooperatively with foodservice staff to assure diet prescription is met * Participates in departmental projects or research
Nutrition Education (20%)
* Assesses educational needs. Counsels patients and/or family on restricted or special diets in nutritional principles and dietary plans. Adapts these diets to the patient's medical condition, lifestyle and preferences, evaluates achievement of learning objectives and provides appropriate follow-up. * Individualizes existing materials for patient education and monitoring and develops basic educational materials for hospital staff. * Provides short in-services to health care professionals. * Interacts professionally with other healthcare professionals and is perceived as a resource on nutrition issues. * Participates in the education of dietetic interns, nutrition residents, GI/nutrition fellows, medical and surgical residents, and other students as requested.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Business Functions (15%)
* Maintains productivity standards and practices effective time management. * Maintains accurate record keeping of daily clinical activities, including information for scheduling and billing. * Assists in developing and revising standards of care, patient education materials, and clinical forms.
Professional Development (10%)
* Attends appropriate continuing education to maintain professional credentials and expand knowledge and skills. * Develops and implements an individualized plan for professional growth and development including participation in professional organizations and activities, workshops, seminars and staff development programs. * Maintains CDR Professional Portfolio by completing 75 CEU's per 5 year period as well as meeting the requirements for Pennsylvania L.D.N. of 30 CEU's per each 2 year licensure period.
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
LDN - Licensed Dietitian-Nutrition (6 Months)
RD - Registered Dietitian - 6 months
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in dietetics, foods and nutrition, or related area.
Additional Technical Requirements
* Knowledge and application of medical nutrition therapy in pediatric patients. * Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing to patients and families, public, medical staff and physicians. * Ability to function independently on assigned patient care units. * Ability to counsel and educate others. * General knowledge of nutrient analysis, word processing, and spreadsheet software. * Familiarity with nutritional content, sources and use of commercial supplements, tube feedings, infant formulas and feeding modulars (fat, protein, carbohydrate, vitamins and minerals).
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products or nicotine in any form and a negative nicotine screen (the latter occurs after a job offer).
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146
CHOP EMPLOYEE? SEARCH FOR JOBS HERE.
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Job Segment: Dietitian, Clinic, Nutrition, Medical, Patient Care, Healthcare