At Carta, our mission is to create more owners. By building an ownership management platform, we're changing how over 12,000 companies, and more than 800,000 investors, law firms, and employees manage equity around the globe. Now, we're building a new team to reimagine liquidity for our customers and are looking for Senior Counsel to help support this growth.
In this role, you will be an integral member of the Carta legal team. You will be the primary legal contact for the Carta Capital Markets (\"CCMX\") team, responsible for providing legal and regulatory support for the implementation of the team's business plan.
The ideal candidate will have a high level of integrity and attention to detail and excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills. This position will be located in New York, New York, with occasional travel.
* Work hand in hand with CCMX leadership to build, review and implement the legal and regulatory framework for the business line, including the optimization of exemption and disclosure frameworks.
* Draft, review and update agreements, documents and materials for products and services offered by CCMX.
* Help build scalable and effective processes to launch new products, new business initiatives, or expand existing businesses into new market centers.
* Work on a wide variety of issues centered around compliance, business development, marketing and commercialization of CCMX technology solutions and products.
* Develop creative approaches to managing legal and regulatory risks and resolving disputes.
* Supervise external consultants and legal advisors as necessary to support business and regulatory initiatives.
* Provide support as needed to the other members of the Carta legal team, and collaborate effectively with external counsel, on projects such as litigation, M&A, technology transactions, and intellectual property.
* Support business leads, compliance, government relations and other CCMX teams to ensure strong coordination and collaborative interaction with regulatory agencies
* Assist in the formulation of regulatory agency examination responses.
* Experience advising and supporting senior and middle management teams.
* At least five years working for a top law firm, government agency, or in-house experience at a financial institution.
* Admission to the New York Bar.
* Deep understanding of laws and regulations that apply to financial products, brokerage services, and laws relating to the commercialization of technology solutions.
* Experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts.
* A passion to innovate and change the way the world of finance works using new, groundbreaking technology solutions.
* Strong communication skills combined with the ability to work under tight deadlines.
* The judgment and the courage to make good decisions when faced with ambiguity and risk.
* Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
* Excellent analytical, oral/written communication, and interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated record of cross-functional collaboration, being a team player and forming strong working relationships with colleagues and clients in a fast-paced work environment.
* Ability to distill complex legal concepts and into simple, actionable recommendations.
* Ability to manage and handle sensitive and confidential information with the highest levels of integrity, ethical standards, discretion and sound judgment.
Carta is creating the ownership network that maps the world's assets. Check out who we are and how we work here.
At Carta we want to create an environment for Carta's owners - you - to do your best work, by offering competitive benefits and perks:
We are committed to WELLNESS:
* Health, dental, vision, and life insurance
* Competitive PTO and unlimited sick time
We are committed to INVESTING IN YOUR FUTURE:
* 401k matching program
We are committed to A SUPPORTIVE WORK ENVIRONMENT:
* Commuter benefits
* Catered lunch and unlimited snacks
* Cell phone stipend
We are committed to LIFELONG LEARNING:
* Unlimited reimbursement for work related books
* Fast paced work environment geared towards professional growth
Carta is a Series E company and is backed by many of the best investors in the world including Social Capital, Union Square Ventures, Menlo Ventures, Spark Capital, Meritech Capital, Tribe Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, and Lightspeed Venture Partners. Associated topics: buy, capital, commodities, fund, nasdaq, risk, securities broker, sell, stock, trader
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.