Join our Team at Brightpoint Health a member of the Hudson River Healthcare Group!
We are hiring a FULL TIME REGISTERED NURSE for our New Integrated Substance Use Initiative at our Queens Sutphin Health Center
Please apply today to learn more!
The Integrated Substance Use Nurse acts as the clinical care coordinator for patients with substance use disorders across our Queens. The nurse screens and assesses substance-using individuals to determine their appropriateness and readiness for treatment, including medication assisted treatment (MAT). They will support prescribers during visits. The nurse provides participant education and counseling around behavioral change, risk reduction, and prevention of relapse. The nurse maintains contact with participants between provider visits to keep them engaged, triage presenting issues, and link them to needed services. The nurse initiates screening and intake process for MAT for patients who are interested. The nurse maintains close contact with participants during the induction process and consults with providers as needed
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Meets with substance using individuals to discuss options for support, including medication assisted treatment; screens for potential suitability and interest.
- Completes initial assessment including review of substances used, current medical conditions and medical history, medications taken, and psychosocial status.
- Links individuals without insurance or with other logistical barriers to case management or benefits assistance to facilitate access to care.
- Meets with patient the day of MAT induction to provide education on medication safety and administration. Provides overview of induction process and reviews treatment agreement with patient. Follows up with patient throughout induction process.
- Schedules induction appointments with prescribing providers and provides education and counseling on preparing for induction visits.
- Conducts telephone, text, or in-office follow up with individuals based on needs.
- Facilitates referrals to medical specialists or behavioral health providers made by NPs.
- Works with pharmacies to address required insurance prior authorizations, overrides, or restriction issues.
- Organizes case-conferences with prescribers and other involved staff as needed to review participant progress and promote optimal treatment outcomes.
- Engages participants in continuing education and counseling about medication adherence, overdose risk reduction strategies, and relapse prevention.
- Does outreach to patients who are overdue for appointments
- Tracks all MAT patients across Brooklyn sites and conducts Quality Assurance activities as needed
- Serves as clinical substance use resource specialist available to providers and other staff
- Completes internal and external training to maintain knowledge and skills related to nursing license, substance use, buprenorphine, MAT, culturally competent service delivery, and other job-relevant topics. Maintains accurate, timely, and secure documentation of service provision using both electronic and paper systems.
Bachelor s Degree or Associates Degree in Nursing from an accredited nursing program required. Must have minimum 1-2 year experience working with people who use substances.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Current registration and active license as a New York State Registered Nurse. CPR certification or completion of certification during employment.
- Bilingual English/Spanish Highly Preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of the medical, psychosocial and developmental needs of adults required.
- Experience working in community health with culturally diverse populations strongly preferred.
- Conversant with harm reduction practices, philosophy and interventions preferred.
- Ability to carry out both independent and collaborative responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute positively in a team-based work environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of office computer applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Prior experience with electronic health record systems preferred.
- Strong oral and written communications skills; ability to manage communications tactfully and professionally with a high attention to detail and accuracy.
Associated topics: bsn, care unit, infusion, intensive, intensive care, intensive care unit, nurse, nurse rn, psychatric, surgery