At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Sr. Manager, Safety, Health & Environment in Philadelphia, PA, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives. Operations at AstraZeneca is a truly world-class business unit. It offers one of the most exciting, fast paced, challenging and rewarding work environments in the world of operations, supply chain and manufacturing.
Global Operations is fundamental to our purpose of delivering life-changing medicines to patients, touching every aspect of our business and providing a platform for everything that we do. We harness the specialist talents of 13,000 people around the world ? 20% of our global workforce. With 30 production facilities in 18 countries we're focused on supplying our medicines with care, quality and efficiency, reducing the time from lab to patient. Keen to bridge the gap between science and patients? Turn research into reality? And forge a global career that's full of possibilities, as part of a world-class team? Come and thrive in our vibrant, energizing, connected and supportive culture and make a real difference to patients. Hear from our Senior Leaders about why they know AstraZeneca is a great place to work.
The Sr. Manager, Safety, Health & Enviroment (SHE) is responsible for the oversight of all safety, health and environmental (SHE) management programs and activities at the Philadelphia Site, which includes a warehouse in Bensalem, PA. This position is accountable for ensuring cost-effective compliance with federal, state and local regulations as they relate to SHE. This position acts as a site liaison with local regulatory agency staff and AZ Regional and Global SHE staff.
Equally important, this position is responsible for assuring continuous improvement in SHE performance through advancement of a positive SHE culture and discipline as well as updating SHE related procedures and tools. The position will work closely with Operations to ensure SHE programs and activities are effectively integrated within the site LEAN operating environment.
* Develop and execute the SHE strategy for the site including: program development, implementation, performance tracking, regulatory compliance, SHE training and employee engagement.
* Ensure and promote continuous improvement in SHE management systems and the tools used to facilitate compliance with those standards.
* Apply regulatory expertise and communicate compliance requirements to ensure compliance with all applicable company, federal, state and local regulations.
* Provide regulatory expertise and guidance and communicate regulatory compliance requirements as they apply to site leadership and site functional areas.
* Oversee the acquisition and maintenance of regulatory permits and licenses (examples include: USDA, RCRA, CAA, EPA, DOT, PADEP).
* Review and approve the preparation and submittal of SHE reports to local regulatory agencies; work with these external agencies to address SHE audit and permit requirements; represent the site and maintain good working relationships with agency representatives.
* Review and approve the preparation and submittal of SHE reports to Global SHE including SHE Improvement Plan, Behavioral SHE Program, and SHE Management Systems Review.
* Develop, implement and document written procedures in support of the site's SHE management system.
* Ensure an effective SHE program is embedded in all parts of the organization.
* Oversee the Health and Wellbeing program, including on-site Medical Clinic to advance SHE programs, assure timely and effective case management and compliance with OSHA and AZ Recordkeeping requirements.
* Oversee site SHE audits and ensure corrective actions are completed to established timelines.
* Oversee emergency response capabilities, strategies, evacuation drills and other planning measures.
* Lead and/or participate in risk assessments, accident/incident investigations as required.
* Stay abreast of new SHE technologies and trends and participate in professional organizations as appropriate.
* Communicate business objectives, strategy and updates to department employees through staff meetings, department communications meetings and one-on-one interaction.
* Provide leadership, technical direction and feedback to direct report.
* Deliver management accountabilities for the safety committee, including staff development, engagement, financial planning and ethical conduct.
* Assure full compliance to the code of conduct for all SHE activities across the site.
Site SHE Responsibilities includes, but is not limited to, directing the development and implementation of the following SHE programs, fully in concert with LEAN Operations:
Safety and Health
* OSHA Industrial Safety Compliance
* Contractor Safety
* Safe Work Permit system
* Accident/Incident Reporting & Investigation
* Industrial Hygiene & Exposure and Risk Assessments
* Hazard Communication and Safety Data Sheet Management
* SHE Training ? training content, program oversight
* Emergency Response Plan and Emergency Response Team
* Risk Management
* Health and Wellness
* Adherence to Global AZ and Regulatory Requirements including:
* Wastewater pre-treatment, discharge, permitting, and monitoring
* Green House Gas Emissions
* Driving continuous improvements to support AZ's sustainability goals
* Bachelor's degree in SHE related field, Science or Engineering
* Minimum of ten (10) years' experience in safety, health and environmental compliance
* Experience developing & implementing SHE related programs in a manufacturing environment.
* Knowledge of safety & environmental permitting processes, regulations and reporting requirements
* Excellent communication, presentation and writing skills
* Computer literacy and proficiency
* Strong analytical skills and ability to deal effectively and creatively with issues and problems
* Ability to meet changing, demanding deadlines while assuring accuracy and completeness of work and that of staff members
* Advanced degree and/or professional certification preferred. years' experience.
* Minimum of five (5) years' experience managing employees, providing work direction and prioritization, coaching and mentoring, performance reviews & feedback is preferred.
* Pharmaceutical/biotechnology/Chemical experience is preferred.
Next Steps ? Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience ? it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.