- $87,890.00 -131,500.00/year*
1103 Market St
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America's workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Principal Engineer Structural Design will direct and manage Amtrak's design efforts for bridge and various types of rail infrastructure projects. Direct and manage external engineering and NEPA project managers, program managers, and consultants. Provide expert technical review and approval of engineering and consultant deliverables.
* Develop scopes of work and project management plan for major bridge and infrastructure projects
* Develop budgetary cost estimates and maintain spend plans
* Prepare requests for proposals, establish and manage contracts with engineering, program management, and NEPA firms and consultants, including scope, schedule, and budget.
* Collaborate with other engineering disciplines and other departments within the railroad organization
* Collaborate with project stakeholders including local, state, and federal agencies
* Research and apply best engineering practices pertaining to project being managed
* Review engineering designs submitted by outside agencies for projects to be constructed on, over or adjacent to Amtrak property to insure compliance with Amtrak and industry standards.
* Provide technical expertise to other departments and makes critical engineering decisions for various groups within the railroad organization.
* Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
* Professional Engineering License-[In at least one State along the Northeast Corridor]
* Project management and design experience with multi-discipline infrastructure projects
* Demonstrated experience in preparation of RFP's and scopes of service for projects
* Demonstrated experience in developing design and construction documents and procurement packages
* Demonstrated experience as management leader using external and internal engineering resources.
* Demonstrated ability to collaborate with state federal and local agencies, and various project stakeholders.
* Understanding of NEPA requirements
* Demonstrated structural design experience with particular emphasis in bridges and buildings.
* Knowledge and understanding of AREMA Recommended Practice as well as other applicable industry codes and standards (AISC, ACI, PCI, IBC, ASCE, etc.)
* Proficient in Microsoft Office Software
* Must have excellent oral and written skills and ability to prepare and present project technical reports and commentaries to management and outside agencies
* Must be an effective communicator with the ability to represent Amtrak at various project functions as they pertain to public outreach and interface with outside agencies
* Must collaboratively interact with all departments in the company, co-workers, and outside agency individuals to exchange project and technical information
* Must be a self-starter and motivated individual capable of anticipating the next step in a process or project and seeks out the appropriate information required to answer a question or complete a task.
* Master of Science in Civil Engineering or equivalent
* Professional Engineering License- [In at least one State along the Northeast Corridor]
* Project or Program Management Certification
* Knowledge and understanding of passenger rail operations and rail infrastructure requirements
* Demonstrated experience in project management, structural design and constructability aspects of bridge, maintenance facilities, stations and tunnel projects in the railroad environment
* NEPA and environmental permitting experience
* 1-5 indirect reports based on workload
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job - we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering -- Engineering
Associated topics: civil, concrete, department of transportation, foundation design, microstation, remediation, road, roadway, traffic, transportation
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...