Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America's workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Director, Technical Training and Development has overall responsibility and oversight of delivering Amtrak's training programs for the Operating Departments (Transportation, Engineering and Mechanical) that meets or exceeds all Federal Railroad Administration requirements. This position will assess departmental needs to drive training initiatives and identify training solutions for employees to support organizational strategic goals across Amtrak.
Collaborates with Senior Management and internal and external stakeholders on the preparation, and delivery of training programs to include; new hire, regulatory, refresher, qualification, skills and induction training as required for each discipline within Operations in delivery alignment with relevant Safety Regulations and Amtrak Safety Standards.
* Develops departmental efforts for the delivering of training programs and course materials including existing training materials. * Provides technical instruction to direct reports and trainees on the use and application of the departmental Standards, Policies, and Procedures that align individual and team goals with departmental goals. * Establishes skill sets that identify the abilities of existing field personnel to develop training to address any shortcomings that may be identified. * Develops SWOT on researching and development of training for all aspects of the Technical Training to assess gaps in existing training strategy. * Mentors existing staff and guides future development of training department employees while maintaining mandatory annual qualifications and new qualification testing as necessary federal, state and Amtrak policy. * Expands the training facilities and practices as necessary to accommodate all of the Operating departments training needs. * Forecasts needs for instructional standards, methods, and technical approaches and ensures the effective utilization of training resources. * Works with colleagues to devise and implement a business plan to identify subject matter experts in the development, review, evaluation, and revision of training programs for compliance with current statutory/regulatory requirements, documented practices, technology, operational needs, and other requirements. * Ensures accurate and timely training records, including, but not limited to, records of attendance, new hire student progress and performance, and coordination with support departments and client department(s). This includes, updating new hire evaluation process to maximize the efficiency of the candidate selection process before students are released to their respective discipline. * Leads internal staff to create work teams focused on providing expertise on technical, operations, and/or work practices to client department(s) as appropriate. * Directs cross-departmental efforts to develop and implement service offerings designed to meet emerging infrastructural needs and identifies additional business opportunities for increasing corporate financial contribution by providing a sound infrastructure. * Assist in requests for budget and/or capital money to improve functional performance of the technical training department.
* Bachelor's Degree in Education, Instructional Design or equivalent of education, training
and/or experience in related field and/or experience and relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
* 13+ years of relevant experience preferred; 11 years of relevant experience required
(17 or more years of relevant experience in lieu of a degree).
* Significant knowledge and experience with the design of training development * Prior experience and demonstrated proficiency in Railroad Operating Rules and Regulations. * Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word, SAP, Success Factors and ELMP. * Advanced leadership and management skills with proven ability to motivate others; effective writing, presentation, meeting, and interview facilitation skills; interpersonal communication; time management; conflict resolutions and research skills. * Demonstrated experience in analyzing, interpreting, summarizing and acting on quantitative and qualitative data. * Fosters employee engagement to effectively design programs related to railroad field operations based on data received from audit compliance records. * Demonstrated experience in the preparation and delivery of technical training materials as they apply to skills and regulatory training, along with ensuring * Skilled at identifying industry trends that impact their functional areas along with a strong state of the art knowledge of multiple fields and communications skills within the maintenance, operational, and construction practices specific to the railroad industry. Thorough knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local rules and regulations. * Demonstrated ability to motivate others and drive for results.
* Advanced Degree in Education, Business or related field or equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience. * Experience working in a team environment, including senior staff and labor leaders. * Knowledge of Amtrak's business, operation and financial system. * Experience in business analysis and budgeting.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Posting Location(s):Delaware; Pennsylvania
Job Family/Function:Safety & Security
Travel Requirements:Up to 50%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job - we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.