* The American Red Cross National Molecular Laboratory uses genomic approaches to predict the antigen phenotype of red blood cells and platelets in both donors and patients. The laboratory supports the identification of rare and antigen negative blood donors for patients who have made alloantibodies to these antigens. The laboratory is CLIA-licensed and AABB accredited. It uses both commercially-available and lab-developed genotyping tests.The technician works as part of a team responsible for nucleic acid extraction, genotyping and reporting of results. Genotyping methodologies include array-based genotyping, genotyping by primer extension and detection by mass-spec, as well as sequence-specific primer-PCR, PCR-restriction fragment length polymorphism and Sanger sequencing. Operates automated extractors, liquid handlers and multichannel pipettes. Communicates with internal and external customers.
1. Responsible for molecular testing in the laboratory and ensures the testing is of the highest quality.
2. Participates in receiving and qualifying reagents.
3. Participates in qualifying and maintaining laboratory equipment.
4. Performs extraction of high-quality DNA from blood samples or other bodily fluids.
5. Performs PCR, SSP-PCR, PCR-RFLP and array based genotyping.
6. Performs agarose gel electrophoresis and imaging.
7. Performs laboratory testing using cGLP and good documentation practices.
8. Uses local database to accession samples for testing.
9. Performs manual and automated DNA extraction.
10. Drafts reports of testing for supervisor and director review.
11. Assists in maintaining an adequate inventory of reagents and supplies
Shift: Monday - Friday 8am - 4:30pm
* Bachelor's degree with major in biological science or chemistry with 1 year experience of laboratory
testing or Associates degree or MLT (ASCP) certification or equivalent required.
* Three years of blood bank experience desired.
* Must have knowledge of molecular testing methods and operation of equipment used in the laboratory.
* Working knowledge of PCs and applicable software programs and regulatory issues related to laboratory work performance desired.
* Must have demonstrated communication skills, both written and oral.
* Must be able to interact with coworkers effectively to achieve goals.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee's professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment.