Put your ASCP Medical Lab Technician (MLT) license and/or blood banking experience to support the life-saving mission of the American Red Cross Blood Services.
We are looking for a full time IRL Medical Technician to work in our PHILADELPHIA, PA reference lab performing specialized testing to serve our local hospital clients. Available schedule is Sunday-Thursday 10:30pm-7am.
As an IRL Medical Technician at the Red Cross you will perform basic and advanced donor and patient tests, and interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility. Primary job responsibilities may include:
* Performing basic and guided intermediate donor and/or patient tests and interpreting results to determine donor-recipient compatibility.
* Resolving compatibility problems; providing basic reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services.
* Performing automated and manual test procedures on blood samples.
* Adhering to explicit standard operating procedures and interpret test results in accordance with the applicable regulatory requirements.
* Providing support, development and/or leadership guidance to all volunteers.
Other IRL Medical Technician duties may include:
* Managing receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples and documenting supply and equipment problems
1. May perform telephone consultation including receiving and completing orders for antigen negative products.
2. Perform duties associated with receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples. Perform duties associated with supply and reagent management to include ordering, receiving, inspection, preparation, and quality control of supplies and reagents.
3. Maintain equipment, reagents and other stock to assure the quality and accuracy of laboratory test procedures.
4. May perform and interpret basic donor and/or patient testing procedures, guided complex serologic problem resolution and complete required quality control, as appropriate to state and federal regulations. Recognize testing irregularities, identify the cause, determine the solution and resolve the problem or refers it to the appropriate level.
5. Maintain, edit and review computer and manual records to assure accurate record keeping. Maintain accurate, legible and complete records.
* Education/Licensure: ASCP MLT or BS in Biological Science or Chemistry plus 1 year of blood banking experience.
* Experience/Skills: Good written and verbal skills to communicate effectively with internal and external customers. Must be able to work on a team. Ability to use a wide variety of lab or medical equipment. Ability to use a personal computer and applicable software for sustained periods of time.
* Schedule: Must be available for daytime training. After training, schedule will be Sunday-Thursday 10:30pm-7am.
* Physical Requirements: Available to work overtime, other shifts, early mornings, evenings, holidays and weekends. Requires standing, stretching, stooping and bending for extended time periods. Lift, pull, push and move objects of up to 50 pounds. May work in walk-in refrigerator/freezers for periods of time. Work under pressure and within time standards. Required to wear protective clothing such as lab coats, gloves, face shields, etc. when there is exposure to blood and blood products and/or where work location requires.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee's professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment.
Associated topics: ascp, medical lab science, mls, mlt, molecular, surgical technologist, technician, technician iii, technician lab, toxicology
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.